|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Double towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't speak to if they will ticket you.

But the reason for the law is like a lot of laws, so the politicians can show they are doing something.

Probably was a bad accident or two with a wildly unsafe setups or dangerous driving behavior. If a situation is patently unsafe on the surface, police can pull you over and ticket you. But rather than simply directing the police to enforce existing laws, the politicos decided to make a new one to prove how much they want to make things safer.

A good related example would be hate crime laws...as if it's somehow OK to commit murder as long as it's just business and not hate.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the last 3.5 years I have double towed WA, OR and CA along with AZ and NV. WA and OR are not legal to Double Tow. CA requires an endorsement, they do recognize you if you are licensed from a State that allows DT.

Prior I paid $500 to ship MC from WA to SoCal and $500 to ship back each year. So by making 7 trips now I have saved $3,500. I think if i get a ticket or told to separate I am well ahead of the game.

I have had many Troopers slowly pass me or observe me along I-5 that I typically travel. I am guessing since I am Licensed SD is why I have had zero issues.

Pic from a couple weeks ago staying at Deerwood RV Park near Eugene Oregon.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I've double towed before but made sure the states I passed through was legal. Travel trailer with jet ski trailer behind. Since I sold the jet ski no more need to double tow.

In AZ, that's definitely NOT legal, though doubles =are= legal. First trailer =must= be a FW, second trailer can be ball, pintle or clevis hitch, and must have safety chains and brakes if > 3k gvw. Now, does this mean that people don't do what you do? Yes, they do, and I saw one just recently. Bumper pull utility trailer with a Bobcat on it towing another utility trailer with tools and materials on it. MANY years ago, I saw a guy towing like this with an added cement mixer on the back.

I never saw this, but my dad did and knew the farmer in question quite well, but he'd tow FOUR loaded cotton trailers, probably 7-8k each, with no brakes, chains or lights, down I-8 in the Yuma area, at 50-60 mph and would pick up EIGHT empties at the gin to bring back. With a 3/4t truck. INSANE!

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campinghut wrote:

I personally would not take a chance in BC

And yet BC allows double and triple road trains well over 100' long and well over 100,000 lbs, but won't allow RV doubles. Never understood that logic.

Lyle

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some states you can't leave the interstate when double towing and both trailers are 5th wheels. Hard to do either with an RV

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

In some states you can't leave the interstate when double towing and both trailers are 5th wheels. Hard to do either with an RV

Actually, the 2nd trailer connection on a semi is NOT a FW. There's a tow dolly that =has= a FW hitch that the trailer attaches to, but the dolly is hitched with a pintle hitch. [emoticon]

Lyle

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Commercial trailers and semitrailers designed for fully grown trucks are way more stable and brake capable vs RV “wheels halfway up the frame” teeter totter configurations complete with 12 volt non ABS brakes.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I stick to Rest Areas and Truck stops. If I stay at a Campground it will be right off the Freeway.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it varies with what you are double towing. IIRC MN requires/required it to be a 5th wheel and a boat trailer.
bumpy

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Why does it have to be "a cop having a bad day" to enforce the law? Please explain to this retired police sergeant why I would be having a bad day for doing what I'm paid to do, for doing my job?

Here in AZ double towing is legal if the the lead trailer is a 5th wheel. I recently saw a truck pulling a bumper pull trailer pulling a bumper pull trailer in violation of AZ law. If I was still a cop I most definitely would have pulled that person over and dealt with the violation. I'm not saying an automatic ticket but I wouldn't let it go by. I wasn't the type of cop to let things go by.

I'm not a cop but I think if I was I'd feel more like a terrorist if I was pulling over people for breaking laws that don't make any sense.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Double towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.