|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> first time sanitize fresh water tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't NEED to open the low point drains for sanitizing, just run water through every faucet until you smell the bleach solution. The low point drains just speed things up a little.

I let my anode rod sit dry every winter, but with my water it needs to be replaced every 2-3 years anyway.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^What he said. Stop overthinking it.
This is literally as simple as filling and draining the water system along with adding a little chlorine when filling it.
In the Time between my last 2 posts, while you were posting, you could have done it twice including flushing.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when i drain the water and water heater, and then refill - do i refill completely full, then drain all that water out, including the water heater? onlline i see people talk about just draining the water until the bleach smell is gone, but wouldnt some of the bleachy residue still be mixed in with my fresh water?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chlorine disappears basically 4 ways. Time, UV / air exposure, chemical neutralization or dilution.
Since the system is not really exposed to open air and sunlight, you can either wait, use dechlorination tabs (sodium sulphate, vitamin C , etc) or dilute it.
When disinfecting pipelines I use dechlorination tabs.
Small quantity like a Camper water tank, just fill and drain a couple times.

FWIW, google is your friend here. You can learn a lot about this with a little research.

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a kid, I had the first drink of water after my dad had earlier sanitized the tank in our TC. I vomited quite a bit that first morning of our trip until my own personal sanitation was complete.

I've never forgotten that and never sanitized the fresh tanks in any of our RVs. If the water has sat too long, I drain it and refill it.

100% vomit free.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

When I was a kid, I had the first drink of water after my dad had earlier sanitized the tank in our TC. I vomited quite a bit that first morning of our trip until my own personal sanitation was complete.

I've never forgotten that and never sanitized the fresh tanks in any of our RVs. If the water has sat too long, I drain it and refill it.

100% vomit free.

Your Dad should have drain and flushed the tank before you took your first drink. [emoticon]

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Chlorine disappears basically 4 ways. Time, UV / air exposure, chemical neutralization or dilution.
Since the system is not really exposed to open air and sunlight, you can either wait, use dechlorination tabs (sodium sulphate, vitamin C , etc) or dilute it.
When disinfecting pipelines I use dechlorination tabs.
Small quantity like a Camper water tank, just fill and drain a couple times.

FWIW, google is your friend here. You can learn a lot about this with a little research.

i figure it was 50 ppm when sanitizing, i drained it all out, so if there’s less than a gallon left in my 80 gallon tank it would be diluted to 100:1, which is 0.5 ppm, probably about the same as municipal water. so i guess i’m done.

i guess if it tastes too much like chlorine in a week or so i’ll drain it one more time.

Varmintmist

West PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

100% vomit free.

Your Dad should have drain and flushed the tank before you took your first drink. [emoticon]
Or maybe that is how he found out that he needed to flush the tanks [emoticon]

I did it in the spring, and will again. Fill with a cup of chlorine in it, let it sit for a day or two, drain and refill. If there is a little chlorine taste left, it is still better than city water. Might do it this weekend.

As a thought... Does anyone who rv's mostly without hookups ever just refill the tank at the end of the trip, add chlorine and let it sit until the next time you run the trailer?

Always cross your chains and grease your balls
07 F250
2019 Surveyor 27'

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> first time sanitize fresh water tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.