|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire Balance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I am not going to do the math, but the Drum needing 5.5 oz would be less it the weights were at the outer circumference of the tire... Same goes for the tire to a lesser extent... But the math really isn't that critical with the beads. Any extra beads will distribute themselves evenly around the tire.

The 5.5 oz. mentioned was needed at the normal location on the wheel. I presented this to show the fallacy of dumping a substance in a tire in the hopes of getting perfect balance. Since nobody checks the drum balance and has no clue where the heavy spot on the tire or drum is located, they have no idea of the amount required.

I static balance the assemblies or use my strobe on the vehicle to get them right.

[image]

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

So i am about to go buy some new tires for my 5th wheel, and tire shop is saying dont bother pay to have them balanced , its not necessary.

What does everybody do here? They are for 29ft 5th wheel 225-75-15

Find another dealer, if they're giving you such cr@ppy advice. Anything that rotates at that kind of speed needs to be balanced. I've seen more than a few trailers going down the road with wheels bouncing off the ground. The worst was a TT that had the left rear tire bouncing, I kid you not, at least 4" off the ground. I have no clue as to why the driver couldn't feel that. On top of that, he was towing at about 70-75 mph.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

If a tire is properly dynamic balanced there may be weights on both the inside and outside.

Often the weights on the inside will not be in the same location as the outside. That is how the dynamic balance is achieved.

I know Discount balances that way; both inside and outside weights and not necessarily in the same location, as you say.

Lyle

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires jumping up and down on a trailer is the result of severe flat spots from locking brakes......tread delam issues/etc and no amount of weights would ever balance the tire.

Sound like a experienced tire dealer that has been around the trailering world to me.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tire Balance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.