RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: % bleach to sanitize fresh water tanks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> % bleach to sanitize fresh water tanks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pour the bleach into my fresh water hose at the hose bib end. Hook it up and fill my FW tank. Hose is sanitized and so is tank. I've always gone with 1/4 cup to 15 gal.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Northeastern info sheet seems to be for surface and bio-hazard decontamination where extended "soak time" is not very practical. For RV use, letting the weaker concentration sit for 3-4 hours is not usually an issue and cuts down on the difficulty of rinsing the taste out of the plumbing system.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1/4 to 15. Nothing else!!!!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

SAR Tracker

Central Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

RoyF wrote:

After draining the bleach, I suggest adding a cup or two distilled vinegar when you refill the tank. Drain again and refill with water only.

What is the reason for the vinegar mixture?

Removes the bleach taste

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great, i liked the bleach in the hose idea and went with it. will rinse out tomorrow.

docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Related Question. Do you guys drain and isolate your hot water tank or sanitize that too..

2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docsouce wrote:

Related Question. Do you guys drain and isolate your hot water tank or sanitize that too..

Of course, do the water heater as well. The hot and cold water comes out the same hole (faucet), so do it all.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And remember - you must use real bleach, not the splashless type. Different chemical makeup.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't anybody else use hydrogen peroxide?

We have for decades. Not the low density stuff for cuts, but the big number for hot tubs and such. Water tastes better when it is done.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I got tired of all the advice and personal opinions. I did a literature search and found actual scientific studies and recommendations. Sorry I did not save the webpage and could not find it. I am positive of the results.

The recommended bleach concentration is 1/4 cup of standard household bleach for every 15 gallons. Standard household bleach is in the range of 5-6%. The recommended soak time was 1 hour, not 4 hours, no 12 hours, not overnight, but 1 hour.

There is probably little or no harm to soaking for a couple of hours or so but it is best to avoid prolonged soaking and especially avoid high bleach concentrations. Bleach is not friendly with pump seals, etc.

I could not find any solid, scientifically based recommendation for the frequency of disinfecting RV tanks. It seems that a tank in regular use with typical municipal water containing bleach will be good indefinitely. If you use something like unchlorinated well water you might want to disinfect at least every couple of months, but that is strictly a personal opinion. I have found that my RV water starts to stink after a couple of months when not used.

Beyond any doubt, sanitize the water water system. Legionella can be a really nasty disease and there have been reports of Legionella growing in hot water RV tanks. Doing the hot water side is a pain in most RVs. I first remove the plug anddrain my HW tank, use a spout to clear out any sediment, then I put the plug back in, fill with water containing bleach, soak and hour, then remove the plug to drain, and finally reinstall the plug and fill with regular water.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> % bleach to sanitize fresh water tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.