|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Advice - tires again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Not all Michelin tires are made in the USA.

They have Plants all around the World. EVERY set I have purchased have been Made In USA.

I know we disagree occasionally [emoticon] But what in the world does this discussion have to do with you buying Michelin’s made in the US , you should be on your soapbox condemning anyone buying Michelin’s not made in the US , just like you do Sailun . The fact that Michelin is farming out their tires to other countries should be enough for you to stay away from Michelin . Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

* This post was edited 06/03/20 05:26pm by cummins2014 *

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Just one example of my US Made items I am HAPPY to pay more for! My feet are comfortable from day one!!!

[image]

Hey , we agree , wore out a few pair of Red Wing steel toed boots

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Made in the USA vs China is a pretty easy decision, but obviously not for someone who chooses a truck Made in Mexico.

Michelins for me...

That does it!! I'm going through my house and my garage and getting rid of EVERYTHING that's NOT made in the USA!! (Do you think the vast empty space will cause a really bad echo when we talk???) [emoticon]

And most likely be sitting naked at the keyboard. [emoticon]
NAHHHHH He won't have a keyboard either.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Made in the USA vs China is a pretty easy decision, but obviously not for someone who chooses a truck Made in Mexico.

Michelins for me...

That does it!! I'm going through my house and my garage and getting rid of EVERYTHING that's NOT made in the USA!! (Do you think the vast empty space will cause a really bad echo when we talk???) [emoticon]

You are correct. I get a kick out of this . I guess some think it’s okay for somethings , if it’s what they want . If it happens to be tires they don’t care about , then on their Soapbox they go .

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 03:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

If you're doing a lot of heavy towing/hauling may want to consider a set of 295/70/18's (vs. 275/70/18). The 295's will net you an extra 800-850 lbs. of tire capacity per axle (vs. the 275's). We installed a set of 295/70/18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S's on our '16 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4. No clearance issues, but our speedo does read about 2 mph slower. Have 15k on them hauling an almost 4k in-bed camper---very pleased with how they ride and wear.

I did this also and I’m running the Cooper AT3 XLT 295/70/R18. They are stiffer than the Firestone’s oems and 1 inch taller. Almost 10,000 miles very nice plus 60,000 mile warranty.

Also my speedo was not affected very much. Tracking w waze and watching the speedometer it is maybe .5 mph. So going 65 steady they both read the same but accelerating it would hit on waze slightly before the truck Speedo. And they are exactly 1 inch taller.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Michelins for me...

You are correct. I get a kick out of this . I guess some think it’s okay for somethings , if it’s what they want . If it happens to be tires they don’t care about , then on their Soapbox they go .

Time to lighten up. Just having a little fun here!

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Michelins for me...

Time to lighten up. Just having a little fun here!

I suppose it is . Anyway back to the tires. I will also look at the Coopers, good reports on them. As said from reports the Sailun Terramax is probably the best tire ,and value out there. No different then the S637's

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Don't start confusing the subject with facts now .

And they are owned by a French company, not our best ally. IMO [emoticon]

Sure as HE!! better than Communist China!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

They have Plants all around the World. EVERY set I have purchased have been Made In USA.

I know we disagree occasionally [emoticon] But what in the world does this discussion have to do with you buying Michelin’s made in the US , you should be on your soapbox condemning anyone buying Michelin’s not made in the US , just like you do Sailun . The fact that Michelin is farming out their tires to other countries should be enough for you to stay away from Michelin . Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I "PREFER" US Made items when at all possible. Where I don't like my money going is to a Communist Country that sure as HE!! is NOT our friend. UNDERSTAND???

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/20 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flashman wrote:

otrfun wrote:

If you're doing a lot of heavy towing/hauling may want to consider a set of 295/70/18's (vs. 275/70/18). The 295's will net you an extra 800-850 lbs. of tire capacity per axle (vs. the 275's). We installed a set of 295/70/18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S's on our '16 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4. No clearance issues, but our speedo does read about 2 mph slower. Have 15k on them hauling an almost 4k in-bed camper---very pleased with how they ride and wear.
I used to always run larger tires - but I always had manual transmissions and could adjust my driving for the difference in effective gearing. But with an auto tranny (Aisin) I don't want to mess with how the computer controls the shift points.
Speedo is only 2 mph slower with the 295 (vs. 275's). That's only a very minimal change in gearing. Regardless, we always run in 5th when towing/hauling heavy, so we're more than good in terms of overall gearing.

For us, the safety factor we gain by using tires with additional 800-850 lbs. of tire load capacity per axle easily trumps any concerns about a slight change in overall gearing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Advice - tires again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.