|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I didn’t explain my situation adequately. I’m concerned about use in my RV but my big trip is on a houseboat that we are partners on. The inverter on the boat is not accessible where we sleep.

I don’t mind paying cash for this. The respiratory therapist gave me a pamphlet on one made by the company that makes the cpap. But also advised me to just go on Amazon and pick one up.

I was thinking something like this.
Amazon

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Amazon
Clicky doesn't work but url does. That unit *should* work, but you'll need to verify the power consumption of the Cpap to make sure.

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Maybe I didn’t explain my situation adequately. I’m concerned about use in my RV but my big trip is on a houseboat that we are partners on. The inverter on the boat is not accessible where we sleep.

I don’t mind paying cash for this. The respiratory therapist gave me a pamphlet on one made by the company that makes the cpap. But also advised me to just go on Amazon and pick one up.

Amazon

Ahh. Houseboat. Different scenario indeed.

Since you have about a month before your trip, I would pick up a Kill A Watt and plug your CPAP into it to see how much power you're actually using per night. Then you can compare your nightly usage to the capacity of the battery to see for yourself whether it will work.

And here's a workable link to the battery: CLICKY.

Good luck.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

since bionic man has insurance, why are folks suggesting he pays out of pocket for one? as far as masks go, I have settled on a ResMed swift FX Bella gray after trying at least a dozen different masks. as far as set up/etc. the amount of pressure required should have been established initially by the Dr. and mine hasn't changed for 20? years. is 9.
bumpy

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pinesman wrote:

If you can put in a 12v outlet near the bed, this 12 volt cord will probably work fine. Like others have said, the heated humidifier is the biggest power hog on the machine
Dreamstation 12v cord

Concur ! Much more efficient than running the CPAP off of an inverter. If you have a pair of 6v golf cart batteries and are NOT running any other items over night, I think you will do fine.

Spend the money and get a battery monitor like a Victron BMV-700. This way you will know exactly how much power you have in the batteries.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/20 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After almost 7 years of using my CPAP on the coach's 12V battery system, I added a small electric refrigerator and there was no longer enough juice to go around. My solution was to purchase two small lithium "solar generators." They won't run the CPAP on 12V (not enough amps on that port), but the CPAP runs fine when using their built-in inverters. Each cost less than $200 with coupons found on Amazon or on YouTube reviews, they are light enough for me to lift easily, they recharge quickly from the truck alternator when I drive, and each powers the CPAP for 2 nights without humidifier.

Caution: The results for your Dreamstation will be different. My camping CPAP is an old Phillips 60W. My HMO recently stopped supporting my old faithful CPAP and they gave me a new one which draws 90W and won't work on my RV's electrical setup. The old one still works and I can buy filters and such from CPAP.com, but my insurance won't pay for that. Insurance also did not pay for the 12V cord to use in the RV or for my two little power supplies.

Buying two may not be what you need, but think about it. Two small ones are cheaper than one big one, you can charge one while you use the other, and if one fails you still have the other one.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, just circling back to close out the thread. I ended up buying a DC power plug for my CPAP, and this from Amazon.

Tried it last night. After wearing the CPAP for 8 hours, this still had 83% battery life left. So, for anyone looking for a solution, this one seems to work.

mkisamore

Indian head

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i used two battery chargers with built in inverters while i was hunting in idaho wilderness each one lasted 6 hours per night for 2 nights so if you are able to charge them during the day you would only need one they cost a little over a hundred bucks but were well worth it walmart carries them they have 120 volt plugs on them. Stanley peak 1200 amp chargers are what i see on their website now

* This post was edited 06/28/20 01:55pm by mkisamore *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.