|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear View Camera

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is wireless partner to my Garmin GPS. Wired it to my Lic plate light so is active with parking lights on. Is useful going down the road to see if someone is tucked in tight behind you out of mirrors view, but most useful in busy parking lots to make sure someone hasn't walked across behind camper as you start to backup.

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I added one and use it with my factory camera system. Mine is from Camera Source. I wish I had gotten one with the long cable, so I could mount it at the top of my camper to see over a trailer. However, mine works fine any other time. Mine does not come on driving down the road. It is helpful every once in a while backing up like getting pretty close to the back of a camping space or parking space..

You do have to remember to unplug it or plug it back in when you take the camper off. If you want to watch vehicles behind you going down the road, I think you’ll need an aftermarket system. Many of those (maybe all) will run all of the time they are on since they don’t know if you are in forward or reverse.

I did the exact same thing with my TC. Mounted the camera on the underside of the TC bumper/sewer hose compartment using Rivnuts.

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed an aftermarket radio/GPS in the truck that includes circuits for 2 cameras (front and back). The normal backup camera is on the license plate. I ran the second cable to the back and installed a small camera in the back window of the TC. It is not hi-def, but I can see behind me anytime while driving or backing when the license plate is blocked.

I can also access the camera inside the TC with a portable dvd player to use as a security camera.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my B, I have a Garmin wireless backup camera connected to my backup lights. I have it aimed fairly low so I can back close to things and for hooking up my trailer, I can see my hitch. I have been thinking of adding a second power feed so I can turn it on anytime, it would be handy for checking on the trailer when towing.

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/20 10:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my Garmin BC-30 wired to my running lights. It's on all the time when towing but doesn't bother the camera. I can instantly see if anything is behind me on my Garmin RV660 GPS. It's great to see behind you when backing up at gas stations, rest areas, and backing into parking spots.

2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a backup camera plugged into the Ford tailgate camera harness. This means it only comes on when I back up. I have found it incredibly useful. My wife rarely has to spot for me backing up.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdcellarmod wrote:

Hi all,

Anybody use one? If so, Is it beneficial? Main reason to have one is to keep an eye on vehicles. Using it for backing up would come in handy.

Thanks, Jeff D

I bought this wireless pair from Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FM58K2W

It was relatively cheap and easy to install. Works fine and also has a record function. Whatever you get, make sure to caulk around the cable entry of the camera if you point one of the cameras straight down.

I find it very beneficial when driving and backing up. But I still use my mirrors, turn my head and change lanes slowly.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have several cameras though it's a system I pieced together and have added to over the years so can't provide links. I have 2 rear cameras, one looking down for backing up, the other looking rearward. I also have a camera mounted on the passenger side of the camper. I travel solo and this covers the passenger side blind spot, both for lane changes or when pulling out at angled intersections and backing out of parking spaces like at rest areas where they want you to pull in at an angle. I'll be honest, I like the field of view from the passenger camera so much I'll probably add one to the driver's side. I initially tried wireless but kept having reception problems at the worst times so I went wired. I took the easy way and have connectors at a cabinet near the pass through window then run the wire through the pass through and above the truck headliner to the displays.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed one on the truck long ago primarily to aid in hitching the trailer. I had been considering a new one to mount on top of the boat trailer to make it easier to back into it's very tight spot. Now that I have the camper, perhaps I'll look into one to mount over the back door so I can see behind me easier. Need to find one that is preferably wireless to make it easier to connect it.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

HarmsWay

Victoria

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a 2nd Ram camera and installed it in the fixed part of the upper step of our Northern Lite. So unplug the tailgate camera, remove the tailgate, load the camper and plug in the camper camera.

If I was building a camper I'd pre-wire for a camera somewhere higher but this location has worked very well. It would also be nice to get a camera view other than whilst in reverse (we usually flat tow a Jeep) but I haven't gotten around to making that happen. It's a nice feature that I'm glad I have and it was an easy DIY.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear View Camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.