|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Air bag question and suspension in general I guess

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

Looking more into the spring route.

Hellwig has a 2500 and a 3500 overload spring pack. They recommended the 3500 version since the camper plus projected weight gets us close to 3000 lbs. Not sure if that is the right way to look at it, but I have no reason to doubt their recommendation.

Those, plus a sway bar seems to be a pretty good setup ata cost effective price.

Benefit to adding the Torklift stable load too?

Even though I love my StableLoads, you should not need them if you add springs. All the StableLoads do is add the overload spring right away, so you shouldn't need that.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bringing this back up as I now have real weights for the boat.

Gross trailer weight 6100lbs
Tongue weight 480 lbs.

Truck with camper, 3/4 tank of fuel, me and 2 boys.
Front Axle 4400
Rear Axle 5580

GAWR
Front 4670
Rear 6084.

I'm right at limits for gawr with the boat hitched.

My understanding is tongue weight would lighten a bit if I extended the tongue which may not be good. The tongue weight right now is just at the lower end of recommended %.

Seems like overload springs, a super hitch and a super hitch truss extension are likely in my future. The 15" extra long ball mount is only rated to 6000 lbs.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

Tongue weight 480 lbs.

Front Axle 4400
Rear Axle 5580

GAWR
Front 4670
Rear 6084.

My understanding is tongue weight would lighten a bit if I extended the tongue which may not be good. The tongue weight right now is just at the lower end of recommended %.

Seems like overload springs, a super hitch and a super hitch truss extension are likely in my future. The 15" extra long ball mount is only rated to 6000 lbs.

Sounds good. A tire upgrade may be in your future.
I extended the tongue on one of our boat trailers. The extension allowed me to tow with the TC on and not use a hitch extension. So it was a bit of a trade off. I did need to crawl under the camper to engage/dis-engage the trailer which was a PIA.
You are correct about tongue weight; too lite and you may get some sway.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

silverbullet555 wrote:

Tongue weight 480 lbs.

Front Axle 4400
Rear Axle 5580

GAWR
Front 4670
Rear 6084.

I extended the tongue on one of our boat trailers. The extension allowed me to tow with the TC on and not use a hitch extension. So it was a bit of a trade off. I did need to crawl under the camper to engage/dis-engage the trailer which was a PIA.

Tires are good. They are 10 ply, 3750 per tire. Thankfully.

Extending the tongue would have been so much easier and cost effective. I need to rule that out before placing an order for the super hitch.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

billtex wrote:

silverbullet555 wrote:

Tongue weight 480 lbs.

Front Axle 4400
Rear Axle 5580

GAWR
Front 4670
Rear 6084.

Tires are good. They are 10 ply, 3750 per tire. Thankfully.

Extending the tongue would have been so much easier and cost effective. I need to rule that out before placing an order for the super hitch.

Then your RAWR = 7500#.

Try extending the hitch, or just moving the winch post. I would experiment with the boat/trailer loading before spending the $ on a super hitch. It worked for me with the Classic Whaler we had at that time.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

You can go to higher capacity 18s as well. The disadvantage of just extending the tongue is you have to extend all that you tow, and couldn’t use it for a luggage rack/bike rack etc. I have a 2 1/2” extension that is 18 inches long. It’s just long enough to work with my 9 1/2 ft model camper. It doesn’t extend past the camper bumper so it’s not a tripping hazard. I had to cut a 24” extension down.

If you have the 3” hitch, it would certainly be strong enough although I think the 18 would as well. Might be an option for you.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

silverbullet555 wrote:

You can go to higher capacity 18s as well. The disadvantage of just extending the tongue is you have to extend all that you tow, and couldn’t use it for a luggage rack/bike rack etc. I have a 2 1/2” extension that is 18 inches long. It’s just long enough to work with my 9 1/2 ft model camper. It doesn’t extend past the camper bumper so it’s not a tripping hazard. I had to cut a 24” extension down.

If you have the 3” hitch, it would certainly be strong enough although I think the 18 would as well. Might be an option for you.

I was a little surprised when I checked the hitch on the truck. 7500lb with 1K tongue weight. Assumed it would've been higher. In retrospect, I put a Class V on the suburban many years back so I shouldn't have been surprised.

I might look at some combination of an upgraded hitch and a longer ball mount using a 2.5" hitch. Might be a good balance of cost and performance.

billtex wrote:

Then your RAWR = 7500#.

Try extending the hitch, or just moving the winch post. I would experiment with the boat/trailer loading before spending the $ on a super hitch. It worked for me with the Classic Whaler we had at that time.

Winch post is welded. Thought about removing the tongue mounted tool box, but it doesn't extend past the winchpost either. Continuing to explore this option before dropping the coin.

For this year, it is certainly possible we will either camp or boat on a given trip, not both. It may reduce our boating a little this year as my oldest is super anxious to go camping in the trailer.

I bought this to try as it got me 16" which I was hoping would be close enough. It was not to be given the weight of the trailer at 6100lbs.

http://hiddenhitch.com/products/ball-mounts/class-iii-iv-ball-mounts-2-/class-iv-trailer-hitch-ball-mount/Ft6J97!qk61S1nwc4xA!RU7QCMsOX1m8

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

I was a little surprised when I checked the hitch on the truck. 7500lb with 1K tongue weight. Assumed it would've been higher. In retrospect, I put a Class V on the suburban many years back so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Wow, that is surprising. A hitch upgrade is probably a very good idea either with a takeoff or aftermarket hitch.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, don’t screw up your boat trailer unless you plan on keeping it forever.
It’s a solution with limitations even for you and will not be desirable to most buyers.
If you don’t trust your hitch with the required length of extension bar and don’t want to shell out for a super hitch, just get a heavy 2.5” receiver and a solid bar extension.
$300-400 will get you everything you need.
FWIW, I’ve been towing a 6000lb + boat/trailer for years on the OE receiver on the 07 Dodge with more than 500lbs tongue weight. Idk what it weighs but 2 men can’t lift the tongue of the trailer up.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

... - - - ...

* This post was edited 06/23/20 10:02am by noteven *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Air bag question and suspension in general I guess
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.