|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel Bearing Repack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

My results don't vary, same as yours, using the Dexter seals , now around $9 ea. Last time I bought them they were less then that. Dexter axles are made in the US, I suspect so does the seals, will have to check next time . Also a double lip seal, and have never had any grease get by them, but then again I don't blindly pump grease into those easy lube bearings either . I never use that feature. I suspect thats where some get into trouble with blowing grease past the seals .
FWIW, if the sealing surface of the shaft isn't damaged, you're not going to "blow grease past the seals" if you follow the instructions.

IMO the EZ Lube feature isn't really needed, but it only causes trouble when there are other issues.

Key word , follow .
Yes, that's true. But from my experience, not the most in the world mind you, the bearings will probably fail due to poor assembly where ever they are put together. When I examined mine I was chagrined to discover all the nicks and gouges on the sealing and bearing surfaces of the axle shafts. On a couple of them a half-inch or less closer to the seal lip and it would have been damaged and a potential leak created. I checked them all after that discovery and used a hard stone to deburr and smooth the bearing and sealing surfaces. A poor, poor job was done assembling them.

I’m sure the EZ Lube works for some , I just know for sure when hand packing they are definitely greased properly , and have never had a bearing failure . Fortunately I’ve never gotten a bad bearing or assembly . The only time I blindly towed a fifth wheel not knowing the condition of the axles is when I ordered a new one and picked it up 1600 miles away . No issues , and I didn’t mess with the bearings for a few years , I am definitely not one of those once a year guys .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, me either. I've done mine once in 10 years.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

My results don't vary, same as yours, using the Dexter seals , now around $9 ea. Last time I bought them they were less then that. Dexter axles are made in the US, I suspect so does the seals, will have to check next time . Also a double lip seal, and have never had any grease get by them, but then again I don't blindly pump grease into those easy lube bearings either . I never use that feature. I suspect thats where some get into trouble with blowing grease past the seals .
FWIW, if the sealing surface of the shaft isn't damaged, you're not going to "blow grease past the seals" if you follow the instructions.

IMO the EZ Lube feature isn't really needed, but it only causes trouble when there are other issues.
The problem is that unless one has xray vision, one cannot tell if there are "other" issues.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched to wet brgs. in 2013 when I did the discs. I reused my fine Chinese brgs and installed new $4 Chinese oil seals. I cleaned them for the first time this spring, at 6 1/2 years, new oil in the hubs and greased the caliper pins. The rotors still have the phonograph machine grooves and no problems with any of the Chinese products or seal leaks, whatsoever. And you guys would have stroke if I said how fast I go from Co./Phx. and back! I'll take good maintenance over point of parts origin, any day! Craig

[image]

2012 Dodge dually diesel. CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is one of my faulty Chinese bearings in one season, and I don't drive like a jerk:

[image]

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Here is one of my faulty Chinese bearings in one season, and I don't drive like a jerk:

[image]

Its been 18 months since I packed my cheap Chinese bearings, the originals on my 2008 Montana, since been sold about three months ago. Those bearing being over 11 years when I last packed them, and many thousands of miles, looked great . IMO its not the bearings or they ALL would look like yours., its no miracle how they lasted its how they are taken care of, set up right etc etc. You can ruin any bearing if things are not right ,it seems these fifth wheels come out of alignment, not packed right to start etc etc. I have had many original China bearings with no issues. Boat trailers ,travel trailers ,fifth wheels , and utility, and RV trailers .

I disagree everything out of China is junk, its what it is in this world we live in. Timken farms out their bearings to China, we seemed to be getting fooled thinking we are getting US bearings.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

[image]

Second look at yours looks like a typical grease problem, probably never packed right to start .

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just so you know, I posted the above photo to show the uncaring work done by folks in a certain country. That line on the rollers was caused by the inner race having a ridge caused by a broken down grinding wheel. The operator of that machine did not care about quality, and possibly has no clue what quality is. That bearing turned the grease into a silver gray sludge after just one long trip. I replaced all bearings with MADE IN USA Timkens, I'm done with bearings from a country with no moral compass.

[image]

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, so you pulled the bearing apart before you ever traveled and found that the inner race was bad. That would be the only way you could determine that the race was bad from the factory. Yes, it could have been caused by what you described, or it could have been caused by something else. Unless you saw it new and unused, it's just speculation.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The remaining ridge is still quite visible and I am showing the remaining height. I have been in the tool & die business for more than half a century and understand how things are made. If you cannot or will not accept what I have presented, fine. I still have a customer that his entire business is bearing failure, preventive maintenance and lubrication analysis, he is in total agreement with my conclusion. Perhaps you have more expertise than the both of us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel Bearing Repack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.