|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small Class C with out tow car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Phil our 24' C is 101" wide {no slides needed} and we have never had a problem sight seeing, grocery getting etc. When we did our cross country {22 states and 7,800 miles in 61 days} a couple of years ago we managed to stay at the Family and Friends RV facilities for 32 nights... because we could fit just about anywhere including a simple residential driveway.

I often tow our cargo trailer now not because I ever needed a toad but because I love to ride my motorcycle or drive the Rzr in the many fun places we go... now if I just figure out how to squeeze both into a 6 X 10" trailer...

[image]

[emoticon]

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DC wrote:

now if I just figure out how to squeeze both into a 6 X 10" trailer...

That's an easy fix, there is an APP on your phone, you just downsize them ! [emoticon]

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Also, flexibility to travel in a Class C without towing depends upon the WIDTH of it ... in addition to it's length.

We don't tow with our 24 foot Class C ... but it's "widebody" coach style (~101 inches wide) can sometimes make for white knuckle driving and parking.

However we are turtle-type RV travelers in that we like our home with us at all times, so we do take it along with us off-highway out in the boondocks on rough roads where some folks might want to use only a vehicle that they tow along. [emoticon]
. There is something to be said for having all your stuff with you when you sightsee. I always forget some thing in the tow car when sight seeing. Need a cooler for lunch, did you pack your bathing suit and towel if a nice swimming hole appears or your fishing rod if a opportunity arises. Are there some C’s narrower than 100 ins? If so which ones are?

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I have a 20 foot C, have never wished for a toad and very rarely have trouble parking. We would be a bit horrified at leaving our home away from home parked while shopping or site seeing. It takes all kinds of us.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

DW and I have a 20 foot C, have never wished for a toad and very rarely have trouble parking. We would be a bit horrified at leaving our home away from home parked while shopping or site seeing. It takes all kinds of us.

Small SUV's are towed by many here, espeacilly when the Class C is about 28ft plus, bit difficult to get into some parking spaces in a town

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 23 foot Class C and use it for touristing around regularly. We're down to five to ten minutes to get it road-ready if we're not connected to services, the full ten if we're hooked up.

Even when we have full services, I don't tie into water or sewer when we pull in; just electricity. This makes it easier to leave and come back. If we need to top up fresh water or drain the waste tanks, I'll hook up to do that, and then put all the hookups back.

We have a preflight checklist, which helps.

When we get to town/places we're visiting, I have to pay attention to parking, but I've never not been able to find a safe/unobtrusive place to park.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillHoughton wrote:

We have a 23 foot Class C and use it for touristing around regularly. We're down to five to ten minutes to get it road-ready if we're not connected to services, the full ten if we're hooked up.

Even when we have full services, I don't tie into water or sewer when we pull in; just electricity. This makes it easier to leave and come back. If we need to top up fresh water or drain the waste tanks, I'll hook up to do that, and then put all the hookups back.

We have a preflight checklist, which helps.

When we get to town/places we're visiting, I have to pay attention to parking, but I've never not been able to find a safe/unobtrusive place to park.

That's exactly how we camp at "hookup" sites in our 24 foot Class C. We even only rarely have the awning deployed.

One concern I do have with us taking our small Class C around to visit places is having to leave it parked too much off-level for long periods with it's absorption refrigerator turned on.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

One concern I do have with us taking our small Class C around to visit places is having to leave it parked too much off-level for long periods with it's absorption refrigerator turned on.

The figures I've seen from the manufacturers are within 3 degrees front to back (the fridge's front and back) and six degrees side to side, if there's a specific recommendation rather than just "if you're comfortable using the RV." Three degrees is a noticeable incline; it's about a four to five inch height difference between the left and right wheels of the motorhome, or a five percent road grade. Most parking spaces are much closer to level than that.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are any of you familiar with 24ft C's with a big storage bay in the rear some are pass tru's and some go half way through like the 2019 Leprechaun 2030CB I saw and test drove?

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"One concern I do have with us taking our small Class C around to visit places is having to leave it parked too much off-level for long periods with it's absorption refrigerator turned on. "

Anytime we park the coach with the frig on I always check to see just how level we are. If it is even close to not being level enough I just turn it off. If you leave the door closed and don't let the coach heat up too much by opening a vent/windows or even running the fan the interior temp of the frig will change very little if any.

You just have to remember to turn it back on when you return. Between my bride and I we manage to remember to turn it off and back on every time we refuel so this ritual is not a problem.

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/30/20 08:18am by Desert Captain *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Small Class C with out tow car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.