RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did our first trip on our Forest River 22MKSE; it was myself, my wife, and my youngest two daughters (1 and 3). We did five days, four nights, all dry camping. We learned a few things...

What I found was that battery was not an issue at all for at least 24 hours of regular use, including no restrictions on using lights, charging phones and tablets, the 12V fridge, water pump, and even using the furnace one night for probably 6 hours. I did get an extra battery put in by the dealer, as I had planned on dry camping frequently. I had a generator that I used to top up the battery every day, but I do wonder how long I'd be able to go without using it before the batteries needed charged. The camper also came with a small 50 watt solar panel, but I don't know how much difference that really made, especially given we were in full shade the whole time.

Water was our big issue. Starting the first night! We didn't make it all the way to our National Forest campsite the first night on account of me working late and my girls being hungry and tired two hours into the four hour ride. Not a big deal; we found a state park and camped there. We were using the kitchen sink and the faucet started sputtering. I checked the water level, and it said empty! I figured it must have drained out of the overflow tube while we were driving because I couldn't detect a leak anywhere and the ground below the camper was dry. It turned out to be very serendipitous that we had to stop early, as the campground had a potable water fill station that I was able to top off (our other campground did not). I jammed a 3" 1/4" drive extension into the end of the overflow tube after filling up, and that did the trick. Two hours later when we got to our destination, the tank was still full. For the future, I'll be installing a ball valve.

The second water surprise came two days later when we were empty after less than 48 hours. I was shocked at how quickly we burned through 40 gallons, especially since we hadn't taken showers, and the girls just got quick birdbath type baths in the 'tub.' Looking back, we didn't supervise our three year old's hand washing and flushing, and suspect we lost a lot there. We also didn't do well with conserving while doing dishes. We ran into town and picked up a couple five gallon water cooler bottles and that lasted us the next day and a half after practicing better water conservation!

We're planning on doing mostly 3-6 day dry camping trips, so my solution will be to get an external 50ish gallon water tank to keep in the bed of my pickup. I'll keep it empty while towing, as I only have a half ton truck, and then fill it after getting to camp. I'll also pick up a couple five gallon waste containers to drain the grey tanks as needed and take to the dump station. I know the best answer is to practice better water conservation... but I know my camping partner and I know she'll be happy, which means I'll be happy, if she's got more water on board.

Other than that, we didn't really have any issues. Dumping was way easier than I had thought it was going to be. We're going to put in a couple of small things like a toilet paper holder and some towel shelves, but otherwise we were happy with how everything worked.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's GREAT. I hope your kids enjoy it outdoors.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your camping life is off to a good start with your good attitude. Best wishes for many happy trips to come!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If boondocking, try dishwashing outside using water from your 5 gallon jugs. You'll learn to use less, and will conserve the tank water for showers/bathing and flushing. You gain both ways, and dish water then, doesn't fill the grey tank.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better to get a tote tank to transport and dump the gray water. Way easier then using jugs.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

If boondocking, try dishwashing outside using water from your 5 gallon jugs. You'll learn to use less, and will conserve the tank water for showers/bathing and flushing. You gain both ways, and dish water then, doesn't fill the grey tank.

If I continue having issues with going through water quickly, I may do this. Honestly though, coming from a backpacking/motorcycle tent camping background, having the comforts of sink, toilet, etc. are a big part of the reason I bought the camper. It would be a tough pill to swallow to see the nice sink with faucet inside while I'm hunched over washing dishes like I'm in my tent! lol

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Better to get a tote tank to transport and dump the gray water. Way easier then using jugs.

How would I get the grey water into the tote tank?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

Water was our big issue. Starting the first night! We didn't make it all the way to our National Forest campsite the first night on account of me working late and my girls being hungry and tired two hours into the four hour ride. Not a big deal; we found a state park and camped there. We were using the kitchen sink and the faucet started sputtering. I checked the water level, and it said empty! I figured it must have drained out of the overflow tube while we were driving because I couldn't detect a leak anywhere and the ground below the camper was dry. It turned out to be very serendipitous that we had to stop early, as the campground had a potable water fill station that I was able to top off (our other campground did not). I jammed a 3" 1/4" drive extension into the end of the overflow tube after filling up, and that did the trick. Two hours later when we got to our destination, the tank was still full. For the future, I'll be installing a ball valve.
\

There are tens or hundreds of thousands of RVs built using vents (not really an overflow) that goes straight down. This is done to save a few cents over running the vents up and out. Your idea of installing a ball valve is not good, just forgetting to open it one time while filling can cause severe damage. Find a way to route the vent pipe(s) higher than the tank and exit well above tank level.

Make a warranty claim stating that the trailer is unfit for its intended purpose.

File a complaint with the NHTSA explaining that your vehicle is spilling its load on to the highway and other motorists. If enough people would do this there is a chance that some bureaucrat might get a clue.

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over time we learned to use paper plates, paper towels, plastic cups, French Press for coffee and plastic utensils and portable Weber Baby Q barbecue for cooking. And, carry 24 pack of water bottles. Use rest rooms at campgrounds(assuming they're clean). If dry camping we will spend 1 night while traveling to fill up water tank and empty black and gray tanks.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use hand sanitizer in the bathroom for those quick stops. We also catch the cold water from the shower in in milk jug and use it to flush the toilet.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.