RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update:

I finally fixed the water leakage issue. I called the dealer, and they gave me the runaround about how I shouldn't overfill the tank, and that I should instead fill it until the fresh water tank meter reads full, rather than until it flows out of the overflow. I call BS. I don't trust the meter, but I do trust filling it until it overflows. Then I know it's full.

Anyhow, here's what I did. I trimmed the overflow pipe down a bit and added a ball valve. However, I put the ball valve on a T, with the other side's tubing angled upwards with the top of the tubing slightly over the top of the overflow outlet. This way, I still have the option of opening/closing the ball valve, but if I forget, no big deal, it'll just spill out over top.

Here are pictures:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Also, after adding a 12 V TV and using heat at night, battery did become an issue. I replaced the two 80 amp hour batteries (that I thought were 100 Ah) with two 215 Ah 6 V batteries in series.

The murphy bed on this camper uses a folding mattress, and it is AWFUL. I mean, just terrible. I removed the couch, added some boards underneath the mounting point to raise it up an inch, and it's night and day. It's still a crappy uncomfortable mattress with a fold in the middle, but at least the mattress is level now.

I also installed a curtain that separates our bed from the rest of the camper. We don't want our kids scarred if they wake up in the middle of the night at the wrong time... Lol.

I've also got a better battery monitor on the way so I can keep a closer eye on SOC of the batteries. Amazon tells me it'll be here Monday, so hopefully I'll get it installed then, as I have the day off.

I bought a Rhino tote tank, and it has worked beautifully. I also ordered a 55 gallon auxiliary fresh water tank from Home Depot, but there have been a ton of shipping delays, and it looks like I'll have to source one from somewhere else, as we'd like to have it before our 11 day trip in two weeks.

* This post was edited 07/09/20 09:46pm by GravelRider *

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Sounds like you had a great trip. Before you know it the young-uns will be teens and you'll have dozens of memories.

I agree - and then as adults, they will also have RVs and the whole extended family can camp together!!! (That's where our camping experiences have evolved)

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The more you camp and learn conserve tricks, you'll get better and last longer between charges and water fill.

We have one G-24 Marine battery, 30 gal fresh plus 6 gal hot, 18 gal black and 19 gal grey water. Duel propane tanks. Lights are all LED. Wife and I can go easily ten days on it. Navy showers alternate days, and care on water use for cooking and washing dishes. We do not feel pressured at all. Course, our kids are gone, and we camp in TC, so just two of us. As you 'practice, and teach your kids', you'll get better and better at it until you work out all the wrinkles. Enjoy !!! [emoticon]

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

Update:

I finally fixed the water leakage issue. I called the dealer, and they gave me the runaround about how I shouldn't overfill the tank, and that I should instead fill it until the fresh water tank meter reads full, rather than until it flows out of the overflow. I call BS. I don't trust the meter, but I do trust filling it until it overflows. Then I know it's full.

Anyhow, here's what I did. I trimmed the overflow pipe down a bit and added a ball valve. However, I put the ball valve on a T, with the other side's tubing angled upwards with the top of the tubing slightly over the top of the overflow outlet. This way, I still have the option of opening/closing the ball valve, but if I forget, no big deal, it'll just spill out over top.

Here are pictures:

[image]

I don't understand, is there another vent in addition to the one connected to the tee? Often pressure fill tanks have two vents. If you have just one and you have an open ended hose in the belly that may not be a good thing with potentially a large quantity of water in there and possibly dirt entering the hose. If that is the only vent, your modification should help a bit on water loss.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

Update:

Here are pictures:

[image]

I don't understand, is there another vent in addition to the one connected to the tee? Often pressure fill tanks have two vents. If you have just one and you have an open ended hose in the belly that may not be a good thing with potentially a large quantity of water in there and possibly dirt entering the hose. If that is the only vent, your modification should help a bit on water loss.

I didn't see another vent other than the one connected to the tee, though I can't say for 100% certain there isn't another one up top where I couldn't see it.

I'm honestly not understanding your concern. I'm just not following what you're saying.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you fill the tank, with a garden hose squirting in a large inlet (gravity fill) attached to the large white hose in the photo, or do you have a valve to direct city water (pressure fill) to the tank?
Usually if you have a gravity fill system the vent hose follows the large fill hose to a screened vent.
From what I can see, water will follow the hose you installed and dump against the belly. That will happen while filling and on the road. What is to keep dirt out of the vent?

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

How do you fill the tank, with a garden hose squirting in a large inlet (gravity fill) attached to the large white hose in the photo, or do you have a valve to direct city water (pressure fill) to the tank?
Usually if you have a gravity fill system the vent hose follows the large fill hose to a screened vent.
From what I can see, water will follow the hose you installed and dump against the belly. That will happen while filling and on the road. What is to keep dirt out of the vent?

It is a gravity fill system. I set it up so that the hose I installed sits higher than the overflow hole. When I fill I'll have the bottom valve opened. Once it starts overflowing I'll close it and then it won't go over the top of the other hose. At least that's my theory. I'm not too concerned about dirt getting in. The opening of the hose sits pretty high up, and it's a small opening, and if some did get in, it would then have to make its way all the way down the pipe, back up, and into the FW tank. Possible, but I think unlikely.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.