RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Better to get a tote tank to transport and dump the gray water. Way easier then using jugs.

How would I get the grey water into the tote tank?

do you know what a tote tank is?

https://qdvtji.com/products/rv-rhino-hea........ent=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

you just hook up the sewer hose to the tank and open the gray valve slowly. then, depending on what size you get, you take it to the dump station by a variety of ways.

OH! I had always called these tote tanks:

[image]

Which is what made me wonder how on earth you had envisioned me getting the waste water in there! lol. The tote tank you linked looks perfect for my needs. Thanks!

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

We treat "rustic camping" (without hookups or dump station) like having a hard sided tent. Just limit the use of everything. Sounds like you basically did that.

The night before we leave I usually do longer showers and use a bit more battery power, knowing we are leaving in the morning.

The first summer we had our camper we stayed in a state park without hookups. Saturday night, I was surprised at how low the battery was. Turns out, while everyone else was at the beach, my daughter stayed at the camper reading and blasting music! (well, at least loud enough so she could hear it while outside under the awning - not loud enough for neighboring campsites to complain).

I very much prefer rustic camping over full hookup campgrounds. You usually get MUCH larger sites, and less in the way of rowdy partiers. (note: "party campgrounds" can be a lot of fun, if I am in the mood for that kind of thing)

We definitely prefer rustic type camping as well, and for the exact reasons you state: much better, larger sites and not as rowdy.

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

You will find it is impossible to carry enough water to make up for wasteful use. When I camp, I get by on 3 gallons per day for drinking, washing dishes and taking a shower. It is just a matter of technique. You don't run the water needlessly. A shower is a good example. It takes maybe a half quart to get the hot water to the shower head, then I wet down and soap up with little or no additional water. A quick rinse completes the shower with a total of 1 gallon of water or less.

I'm hoping to do a combination of carrying more water and practicing better water conservation. I know there is no way my family of four (or six when my teenagers come with us) will be able to do 3 gallons of water or less per day. If we could do 3 gallons per person per day, I'd be happy with that. If we're staying for 3 days or less, the trailer FW tank will be fine at that usage. If we're staying longer, we'll have to either carry more water or move the trailer to refill.

When I took my first shower in the camper, I did exactly what you describe above, which I am well versed with from my army days and backpack camping where I would use small water bladders to bathe with. When I was taking my first shower, I had commented to my wife that it reminded me of being in Afghanistan at our combat outpost where we turned on the (unheated) water, got wet, turned it off, lathered up, and quickly rinsed off. Nobody wasted water. She did not find the comparison of our newly bought camper to my time in Afghanistan as a great selling point of saving water. lol

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Better to get a tote tank to transport and dump the gray water. Way easier then using jugs.

https://qdvtji.com/products/rv-rhino-hea........ent=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

you just hook up the sewer hose to the tank and open the gray valve slowly. then, depending on what size you get, you take it to the dump station by a variety of ways.

Have you ordered from this website before? The price seems too good to be true, especially given they're located in Australia, yet they're selling at that price with free shipping to US.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/20 03:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

bikendan wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Have you ordered from this website before? The price seems too good to be true, especially given they're located in Australia, yet they're selling at that price with free shipping to US.

No, i have the original RV tote tank, a 15 gallon Barker Blue Boy.
i just Googled the popular new Rhino tote tanks and this vendor came up first.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

bikendan wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

bikendan wrote:

No, i have the original RV tote tank, a 15 gallon Barker Blue Boy.
i just Googled the popular new Rhino tote tanks and this vendor came up first.

Makes sense. The site seemed a bit dodgy, so I just bought it from Amazon. Thanks for the great suggestion!

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

We treat "rustic camping" (without hookups or dump station) like having a hard sided tent. Just limit the use of everything. Sounds like you basically did that.

My GF calls it "being in the RV and using less power than Apollo 13.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I brought up my four boys camping from, well when they were babies. I have a 40 gallon tank and always made it through the weekend with a little water to spare.

Some will agree with me on this and many will not. But we just didn't take a shower or bath when we were camping. The water was used for flushing the toilet, washing hands, cooking, minimal dishes and drinking.

On the conservation side I learned a few things. The navy shower which has already been talked about. Get wet and turn off the shower head. Soap up and do shampoo. Turn on the shower head, rinse off and get out.

For dishes I use mostly paper plates unless I'm eating something that truly needs a knife like maybe a steak. Then I'll use a real plate. Wipe everything off with paper towels before trying to wash the dishes. I mean wipe it off so it LOOKS clean, then wash it. And most of all, don't turn the sink water on very hard. I turn it on until the stream is about as thick as a pencil. It still rinses the soap off the plates and uses a lot less water.

And my biggest accomplishment to saving water. I told the kids to be careful using water. If we run out early we go home early. and I'll tell you we never ran out.

Fast forward to today of me camping alone and I do take a navy shower every night and it is nice. But I think it would be hard to make it more than a weekend if there were two people using the shower.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ bio soap and a lake gets rid of the funk without emptying the tanks

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes, the shakedown cruise. The one that you will not forget. Ours, as complete greenhorns right down to pulling a trailer of any kind, was over 2 months & took us, in a round about way, from Austin, TX to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay.

A very steep learning curve.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just completed our first trip with our new travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.