|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5.9 Cummins Diesel Towing capacity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Poor ol Durb. So we haul a little extra weight. My truck is a 15 year old DRW and I don't know what weight is where but it runs level and has about 165,000 mi on it towing. Total weight is right at 23,000lbs. This thing tows sweet at 70 or up the grades. 4.10 gears and automatic.

Hey Billy Davis, there is your answer, "So we haul a little extra weight." Just disregard vehicle ratings and engineered manufacturer specifications. They did it so you should be fine.

By the way, just tow that trailer at 70 MPH even though your tires will probably be rated for 65 MPH maximum. Ferndaleflyer does it so you should be fine.

OP is not likely to be over any ratings except GCWR which is HP and gears.
Tires the LT’s on my 5er are rated at 103 mph.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 16" Bridgestone R250's on the 3 axle toyhauler speed rated 99mph. The 5.9 hummin Cummins has a time getting them going to max. I run throttle at max. I run tire psi's at max. I run weight at max +/-. I just need to get speed to max and it will be perfect.

Signed,
Max

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful about what kind of tuner you have. Make sure it is suitable for towing. I would be monitoring engine manifold and trans temp carefully. To me it is asking a lot from a truck, but some people seem to tow 15k pounds like it is nothing.

I have to believe max throttle is hard on engines. No reason for them to work that hard.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billy1davis wrote:

We are looking very seriously at a 5vr that total GVWR is 15,000 pounds.
My dodge dually is 2001 dually. JUst had the tranny completely rebuilt and it has been chipped. Not sure about being able to pull such a load over a mountain pass. Please advise asap???
Thanks so much

You might consider the *Tow Vehicles* forum (here).
Of course, many "brand loyal" posters there.

Soooooo.....

Next - go to the many forums for diesel pickups - for/of the specific brand/s you are interested in. (forum names via Google)

Check the "help" (etc) sections to see what kind/s of problems *owners* are encountering (if any).

Roll on!

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m running ARP head studs on my 5.9. This is necessary due to the increase pressures associated with the 150 hp gain. I don’t run at max because I don’t have to. If the 5.9 were stock, it would be running at max, all the time and something will certainly break. Good driving skill, and Good understanding Of how your engine uses horsepower and torque is the key to longevity and worry free towing. Anything other than that is abusing your equipment and it is going to fail. If those modifications are not your thing, get a newer tow vehicle with worry free mechanicals. I’m fortunate to have both worlds.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without actual weights this is all conjecture. Our last 5er was so far within specs it was redic. Our newer 5er is a different floor plan and has me looking for a truck.
Both 5ers were 14k GVWR. Rear axle weights were CAT scaled 1000 lbs different but neither 5er came within 1000 lbs of that 14000 GVWR. Oddly the front axle weights were exactly the same when the newer 5er was scaled with the truck and then just the truck. I thought that was odd.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Our newer 5er is a different floor plan and has me looking for a truck."

Just curious, but how does a different floor plan have you looking for a truck? Just wondering mind you.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surprised me too.
The old 5er was a Jayco 3 slide with a rear bunk to counter balance the pin weight, a side kitchen over the wheels, and a big slide in the bunk room. 38 feet long.
The newer 5er is a Blue Ridge rear lounge 3 slide 35 feet long.
The overhang is heavier due to the king bed, and the entire kitchen is forward of the axles. Granite counters and a center island don't help.
This puts the rear axle weight and the payload over the load rating and we left some things at home as it was only a 5 night trip.
Tire ratings are OK, the front axle weight is well below spec, and towing capacity is ok. I'd just as soon not tempt fate.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. IMO exceeding RAWR is probably not a good idea. Some people think as long as your tires will hold you up... [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5.9 Cummins Diesel Towing capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.