RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do you folks plan travel for long distances?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> How do you folks plan travel for long distances?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at "Boondockerswelcome.com" There is a small membership fee but there are plenty of them. I utilize rest areas all of the time and I have never been rousted from one. I also use Walmart, Cableas, and other locations. Always ask and never turned down. Truck stops I don't use much any longer because they are crowded. In the west there are truck parks, no facilities but it's a place to stay.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Dallas to Amarillo is 365 miles. Many good campgrounds in Amarillo, plus the state park at Palo Duro Canyon.

From Amarillo to Raton Pass is 219 miles. I have just made a reservation at "Raton Pass Campground and Cafe" because we always enjoy staying there.

From Raton Pass to Cheyenne, WY is 312 miles. Many campgrounds between Loveland, CO and Cheyenne.

From Cheyenne to Lander, WY is 272 miles. A couple of nice campgrounds in Lander. We have stayed in Sleeping Bear.

From Lander to Yellowstone is 215 miles.

Of course, this is only an example but I have just been planning two trips to Colorado and New Mexico and have been able to find campsites along the way. Let me know if I can help in a specific area.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's hard to make any specific suggestions for where to camp along the route, since there are many highways you could take. And we don't know how many travel days you want to take, what you'd enjoy seeing or doing along the way, etc. But there are hundreds if not thousands of places to camp between your place and Yellowstone.

I use freecampsites.net and Ultimate Campgrounds, mainly. I go for all the free and cheap spots. And I hardly ever make reservations along the way (IMO you've done the hard part when you got sites in Yellowstone). If I want to go 400 miles the first day, I'll look on the maps of those sites for CGs along the route; maybe I'll have to change it to 350 miles or 500 miles, but I'll wind up with 2 or 3 possibilities. Then scope out what's available another 400 miles down the road. On travel day, I will stop by the first of my alternates and if there's space I will probably stay. Then I look at the maps that night and decide if I want to make any adjustments for the next day (because things change, I might be tired or feel like taking a different route or whatever).

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a combination: for trip planning we use RV Trip Wizard, RVTW. It's about $30 a year. It routes you on a path that takes your RV size into account and has a very full set of Points of Interest: gas stations, various retail outlets like Walmarts, dump stations and many more: and various campgrounds that you can filter by membership like Passport America or Good Sams and various ratings. It has a app RV Life for your android phone to go with it. This is being actively developed and the guy doing it listens to users. He just today updated the Range Circles feature to show actual road mileage in response to requests. This feature draws a couple of circles on the map showing you desired daily driving range. I have it set for 250 and 300 miles for me.

RVTW does show free campsites but apps like freecampgrounds.net show many more if you are going to boondock.

But you should always have a paper map on hand to verify any of these software programs. RVTW has been fairly reliable in not doing strange routing so far.

In the Truck we us an old 2015 copy of Streets and Trips for the actual navigation. No connection needed to run it but it will send you on strange routes if you are alert.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learn to be flexible. You can't plan it all ahead of time. Call the day before to make a res. Find a place you like, stay for several days. Feel like a museum, change your plans. Loosen up and enjoy yourself. That's it right there.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/20 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All great suggestions! Keep them coming! I love some of these ideas!

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are "walmarters". Last 2 long trips were PA to FL and PA to TN and we used Walmart both times. Of course I am fine driving until midnight or longer, and at that point the kids are already asleep in the truck, so we are really just looking for a place to sleep. Find where the other RV's are, setup the generators, and hit the sack! My concern with making reservations along the way is I could see us getting to that spot and thinking "why did we stop, I could have made it 3 more hours". That said, if you have plenty of time and can take your time, totally different story. We have limited time off so we just want to get there.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are really two (or more) types of RVers. The vacation group, who we belonged to for years, who has a limited time for their trip. They need to push hard to maximize their time in their intended vacation area. Driving from PA to FL for example to vacation in FL. They drive 500 miles or so for the first few days to get to FL so they can do what they planned to do there.

They fit in with stopping at Walmarts and other free overnight stops because they pull in late.

The second group is the Fulltimer and Almost Fulltimer group. They want to take their time and drive no more than 200 or 250 miles a day. The want to get to their stopping spot early and relax.

And for them I cannot see pulling into Walmart at 3 O'clock in the afternoon and relaxing in the parking lot. So for that group these free overnight spots don't work well. I'm just appreciating this difference now we are moving into the fulltime group.

However as I noted above there are a number of other possibilities for cheap or no cost stopping places.

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weekdays usually aren't a problem finding a site. Weekends will be tougher. Start mapping your route then look at all campgrounds along the way where you plan to stop for the night.Look at everything: state,federal,private,county,city. Also some free campgrounds too. They probably won't have hookups but for one night you'll be ok.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no good answer, but at 40$us/year RVtripwizard did not work for us. That was decided after paying for three years and only getting to use it for two and then it was still a failure. First off it is a webapp. Even though we do carry wire, we are out of good coverage (even with a 3ERP repeater) that it has zero value underway. This means that the day's route has to be loaded to the navigating GPS before departure, and if you deviate from that route, you better have a good way to deal with it. When any of our GPS would revise a route to meet the current situation, it has universally been a disaster. That has been true of Garmin, Rand Macnally and Magelan. Our newest as last Street Atlas is now 6 years out of date and wasn't very good then.

I am waiting for either completely universal cell/web coverage, or a standalone planner/navigator to give us some good direction.

As you can see I have disappointed by Garmin. They bought Delorme and then dropped that line. They still make a good GPS, but don't even try to read the device instructions or use it for more than an "This is where we are now" application.

Well, I'll step off this milk crate and go about the day and continue planning at home only and on paper charts/maps.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> How do you folks plan travel for long distances?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.