RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do you folks plan travel for long distances?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> How do you folks plan travel for long distances?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer Passport America with 1/2 price campgrounds all over the country. They have a simple trip planner on their website.

jarata1

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I start early use trip planner and all stays and book way in advance never had a issue would never do a wal mart

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a planner but not a reserver. Reservations are for high demand destinations, events & maybe weekends. The route, sort of, is planned. Approximate areas of overnights are looked at for possible CGs, don't reserve. There is plan A, plan B then Walmart if only in transit.

We try to roll in by mid afternoon so chances of getting an unreserved site are pretty good. A call when a half hour out or so does the trick for stopping or carrying on.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took a long trip last fall (just under 11,000 miles) and only had four firm dates:

* Shakespear Festival in Cedar City, Utah in August.
* Meet our kids at a camp in NM for Labor Day.
* Get to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH the following weekend because they're only open weekends after Labor Day.
* Paso Robles, CA in October for Peter Frampton's farewell tour.

The rest of the trip, we barely had any idea where we were going. We never back-tracked, so the day before a travel day I would ask my wife which of the other three compass points she wanted to head in. I would spend that evening on RVTripWizard.com quietly looking at options. I would pick out 2-4 acceptable options based on distance and POIs (unless we already knew of a specific target) and then quietly bide my time. The next morning we'd get on the road and then sometime around one or two I'd ask my wife if she had any thoughts about a destination. If she said yes, then I'd tell her to book it. If not, I'd throw out a couple of destination names and tell her to check them out and then call and book whichever one she fancied.

That was the extent of our planning: UT, NM, OH, and CA. The rest was just wherever we felt like going.

Oh yeah, on the Friday we arrived in Sandusky, I called to Elkhart, IN to book a service appointment for us for the following Monday morning to replace the fender that blew off in the high wind in southern Utah. It was sooooo much cheaper to have it fixed there near the factory than to have the parts shipped back home. Plus we didn't have to look at the ugly missing siding anymore.

We got ugly again in Wyoming when high winds blew out bedroom window out. Although I was able to call my new pal at the factory in Elkhart to have a new window shipped home, we still had to make do with a garbage bag and duct tape for the rest of the trip. It got chilly in Nevada when it snowed.

Enjoy your trip. I hope you get to go at a time of year when the world isn't all booked up already.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> How do you folks plan travel for long distances?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.