RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its not your address the crooks are after with your DL. Your DL# can be a key component in identity theft. Esp in conjunction with other info.
I'm pretty much with zcookiemonstar- they can look, but they cant copy. And i always keep a thumb or finger over my DL #.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I often wonder if it is legal to make a copy of your drivers license . It is not your license , it belongs to the state that issued it .

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check into any hotel and they will take a copy of your driver's license, too.
A visit to any medical professional gets a copy of your driver's license.
A visit to many government buildings gets a copy of your driver's license.
Boarding an airplane, renting a car, and the list goes on!

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/20 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Check into any hotel and they will take a copy of your driver's license, too.
A visit to any medical professional gets a copy of your driver's license.
A visit to many government buildings gets a copy of your driver's license.
Boarding an airplane, renting a car, and the list goes on!

Not true. Maybe just where you live.

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/20 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

DaveRVman wrote:

magicbus wrote:

DaveRVman wrote:

Or the 18 year old sells the numbers & ID information to the deep web where people do pay for info and steal your identity.
But in the end, who cares. That theft is not “identity stealing” it is just your credit card being compromised. Happens all the time and the credit card companies are getting pretty good at catching it. Of course we end up paying for what they miss via their fees to vendors, but it’s a small price to pay verses using cash and catching a Corona virus. [emoticon]

They have the card and your home address information. They know what you drive, what type of RV you have, and know what you look like. They know your hair & eye color, possibly that of your spouse, and if you have children. By your ring they know if you are married.

From the internet they can capture just about everywhere you've lived, your house value, along with the relatives in your home (and/or how many children you have).

With that information, they can go to Facebook, know where you work (or where you have worked), if you have a degree or not, etc.

They can pose as you, give fake names & registrations under your name, and in some cases even travel in different countries in your name. They attempt to get credit cards in your name, and most creditors start "locking stuff", pass fake checks in your name, etc. Insurance companies see the warnings on your credit.

Trust me, there are very good reasons you'd rather people NOT know you or much about you. It's not just a credit card getting compromised. You can even get your bank account locked (of course until you go in and "prove yourself")... Locked over and over again.

The worst part is they hang onto you... Then attempt as your spouse. One day your are "honest Dave" the next "suspicious ""Dave"" ".

Anyway, yes, we have made it a policy NOT to "show" ID if we absolutely don't have to. I'm to the point where I won't show it even to check in or the card (especially if they want a copy).

So it's great to hear most places simply just ask your name and check you in. [emoticon] Giving any more info and places you trade with, ID numbers etc is rough.

Very scary indeed and quite posible for serious scammers to acomplish
Thats why
I have no FB [emoticon]
Also never stay in CG,
if I did Id pay cash or Debit Card

They can only get that information from Facebook if you make it public. My profile is only set to show my picture and name, and any posts I choose to make public. A random person cannot figure out where I work, where I live, who I'm married to, where I went to school, who my friends are etc., because I've set the privacy settings to be that way.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if you get your information from the internet, you are a damned fool!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have checking into 10 campgrounds in the last 2 weeks. I used a credit card each time and have not been asked to even present my DL even once. They didn't even ask to see it much less make a copy of it.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

kane8907

East Brunswick,NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checks is not good paying term. If credit point is enough, get a credit card with good plan would be more convenient.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campground is near the last place I would worry. Besides your cell phone, your onstar, your computer habits your credit and debit card ,your fuel card and any other loyalty card you may have are dumping every thing there is to know about you in to the big system.
Costco,Wal mart and their affiliates and vendors, not only know that you spent $59.33 last Tuesday and 7:05, but they also know that you bought Hanes boxer brief's/3pk in size xxl 54 to 66 and a 60ct pack of depends.

We have had cards compromised a couple of times, yet suffered no loss, just angst and inconvenience.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Campground is near the last place I would worry. Besides your cell phone, your onstar, your computer habits your credit and debit card ,your fuel card and any other loyalty card you may have are dumping every thing there is to know about you in to the big system.
Costco,Wal mart and their affiliates and vendors, not only know that you spent $59.33 last Tuesday and 7:05, but they also know that you bought Hanes boxer brief's/3pk in size xxl 54 to 66 and a 60ct pack of depends.

We have had cards compromised a couple of times, yet suffered no loss, just angst and inconvenience.

The trains already left the station with "AI" its pretty crazy. there's a new "social dilemma" documentary i think everyone should watch. I think the only people not contributing to the "big system" are the people in remote Alaska that have never been anywhere near the internet or a smart phone. Everythings tracked. how fast or slow you scroll past an image on a google search is logged. Not much we can do about it other than watch it happen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.