RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

A few National Forest campgrounds require ID at check-in. We also have to show our military IDs whenever we use a military FamCamp - whether it's on or off base. Once or twice a year we stay at a "mom and pop" campground (usually off the beaten path) where they don't take credit cards. If we don't have enough cash, I'll write a check... but have never had a problem with it. As stated above, credit card payments are still the safest. Most ID theft happens on-line or with electronic payment instruments these days, but your bank or credit card company usually offer pretty good protection against fraud and theft.

Rob
X2, when we use the Fed parks,(which is most of the time) and show the Senior Pass, they ask for ID, I guess to confirm it's you using the pass, but have Never had them make a copy of it.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A large number of people print "Check ID" on the signature line of their credit card. I appreciate it anytime someone wants to see my ID when I use a card. Making a copy of ID is also common anytime you are renting or borrowing equipment. Otherwise, there is generally no need for copying identification. But stealing ID by starting with someone's driver's license is taking the long road seldom traveled. Your driver's license number doesn't give them access to much of anything. Your credit card number and the three digit verification code on the back of your card is much more valuable. Even then, you need a long line of dishonest people for a stick and brick business to be in the card stealing business. The management would either need to be in on it or not have any checks and balances in place. The card thief would need a way to monetize the number and whenever a number of different stolen cards are traced back to a single source, the RV Park in your example, the card companies and the police act quickly. Almost all ID theft occur electronically these days. Worrying about ID theft every time you make a purchase is much ado about nothing.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had it happen a few times at private parks and public parks. For me it’s no big deal. I’d rather have them look or copy my dl than my card. THAT I would have a problem with.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campigloo wrote:

I’ve had it happen a few times at private parks and public parks. For me it’s no big deal. I’d rather have them look or copy my dl than my card. THAT I would have a problem with.
They have a record of your card number the second it is used for a purchase. The only true firewall preventing your card from being compromised every time you use it is the fact that almost all people are not mastermind criminals. Bulk theft of card information is the big threat and that is generally accomplished by mastermind criminals often accompanied by lax digital security on the corporate level. The Russian mafia doesn't travel from RV park to RV park bribing reservation clerks to steal card numbers.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/20/20 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A park in Carabelle asked for my drivers license , I asked if a state issued picture ID would do , they said yes . I showed my Florida conceal carry permit . They have no address, just your picture >

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my passport card for these exact reason, no one needs my home address I often use a card with a different billing zip code too

Winnebago Access 24V

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/20 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I had ID checked was at certain government parks or where age certain amenities require age or identity verification (discount, choice spots, drinking age thingy, etc). Never had it checked at private campgrounds. When an ID was needed, I use my gov't CAC and that's usually enough.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

People still write checks? You're just asking for trouble.

Yes. They were usually in front of me in the grocery store. They would then wait until everything was bagged and in the cart before starting to look for the checkbook in the 25 lb 44 qt purse they had on a hand truck. Once found they would ask the cashier for a pen. .Asking for ID was another 10 minutes. In retirement it was more fun to watch. Walmart pickup is awesome.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I show my Concealed Pistol License as a warning... ;-)

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/20 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OT, but I have a credit freeze with all 3 credit agencies.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.