RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a problem showing my ID but I will not let people make copies of it.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

So well put. I appreciate them verifying that I am the same person named on the card.

Charles

wapiticountry wrote:

A large number of people print "Check ID" on the signature line of their credit card. I appreciate it anytime someone wants to see my ID when I use a card. Making a copy of ID is also common anytime you are renting or borrowing equipment. Otherwise, there is generally no need for copying identification. But stealing ID by starting with someone's driver's license is taking the long road seldom traveled. Your driver's license number doesn't give them access to much of anything. Your credit card number and the three digit verification code on the back of your card is much more valuable. Even then, you need a long line of dishonest people for a stick and brick business to be in the card stealing business. The management would either need to be in on it or not have any checks and balances in place. The card thief would need a way to monetize the number and whenever a number of different stolen cards are traced back to a single source, the RV Park in your example, the card companies and the police act quickly. Almost all ID theft occur electronically these days. Worrying about ID theft every time you make a purchase is much ado about nothing.
I also agree with wapiticountry. I as a lot of people have experienced credit card theft. The only thing it causes is slight inconvenience when it happens because you have to be issued a new card. I have two credit cards just in case I need credit when one gets compromised. I or anyone else has never had to pay for charges they didn't make. You simply have to be vigilant and check your statements. Many cards these days also alert you if a large purchase was made - limit set by you, or a charge made without the card.

I too am a victim of identity theft - of my social security number. I put a security hold with all credit issuers - experian, etc. Also, since someone tried to file my taxes for me initially, the IRS requires a pin number when filing taxes. I have to release the hold for credit checks for large purchases, but that is free and can be done online for a specific time period.

For me, I don't mind showing my drivers license - I push back on anyone making a copy. If I did not like doing so, I'd use one of the many forms of ID already suggested.

It's really not worth living your life in fear over - the prevalence of identity theft has actually made things tougher for those perpetrating it. There is a lot of support for this - find it and be sure you are taking the prescribed precautions if your identity has been compromised - Google is your friend.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, find something else to worry about.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Your address is public record and anyone can do a search for your home address. They don't need to get it off your license. Your property tax records are also public record along with the value of your house, when it was purchased, how much you paid etc. I am even aware of a way to get deceased persons social security numbers. If I were a scam artists I could use/have as many of those as I wanted. There is a lot of information that can be obtained in ways other than seeing your id or credit/debit card.

Many put their homes in a trust, especially with means. It ends up being the trust name.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Your address is public record and anyone can do a search for your home address. They don't need to get it off your license. Your property tax records are also public record along with the value of your house, when it was purchased, how much you paid etc. I am even aware of a way to get deceased persons social security numbers. If I were a scam artists I could use/have as many of those as I wanted. There is a lot of information that can be obtained in ways other than seeing your id or credit/debit card.

Our house does not have a street address. Everything is a PO Box. Somewhere in the county records is a parcel number. If someone wants to dig through records to figure out where I live, that is a waste of time. Anyone could simply go to the local grocery store and ask. Small enough town everybody knows everybody.
The deed is in the name of the family trust.

Back to the OP. I have never had anyone ask for photo ID at a private or public campground. If I ask for a discount they usually give me one without asking for proof.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Bears Den

Estero, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never been asked for ID. Use online website to make reservations and pay with a credit card. Never had a problem in 20 or so years.

2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

LeslieCovin1974

19 Gilmore Dr Stony Point, NY 10980

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 12:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

I completely agree! It seems to me that your license is not necessary for this to find out the address!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Maybe mods should zap the spammer here...

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was nearly full time for 8 years, rarely staying in one place for more than a few weeks. I was never asked for an ID.

Larry

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/20 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaveRVman wrote:

magicbus wrote:

DaveRVman wrote:

Or the 18 year old sells the numbers & ID information to the deep web where people do pay for info and steal your identity.
But in the end, who cares. That theft is not “identity stealing” it is just your credit card being compromised. Happens all the time and the credit card companies are getting pretty good at catching it. Of course we end up paying for what they miss via their fees to vendors, but it’s a small price to pay verses using cash and catching a Corona virus. [emoticon]

They have the card and your home address information. They know what you drive, what type of RV you have, and know what you look like. They know your hair & eye color, possibly that of your spouse, and if you have children. By your ring they know if you are married.

From the internet they can capture just about everywhere you've lived, your house value, along with the relatives in your home (and/or how many children you have).

With that information, they can go to Facebook, know where you work (or where you have worked), if you have a degree or not, etc.

They can pose as you, give fake names & registrations under your name, and in some cases even travel in different countries in your name. They attempt to get credit cards in your name, and most creditors start "locking stuff", pass fake checks in your name, etc. Insurance companies see the warnings on your credit.

Trust me, there are very good reasons you'd rather people NOT know you or much about you. It's not just a credit card getting compromised. You can even get your bank account locked (of course until you go in and "prove yourself")... Locked over and over again.

The worst part is they hang onto you... Then attempt as your spouse. One day your are "honest Dave" the next "suspicious ""Dave"" ".

Anyway, yes, we have made it a policy NOT to "show" ID if we absolutely don't have to. I'm to the point where I won't show it even to check in or the card (especially if they want a copy).

So it's great to hear most places simply just ask your name and check you in. [emoticon] Giving any more info and places you trade with, ID numbers etc is rough.

Very scary indeed and quite posible for serious scammers to acomplish
Thats why
I have no FB [emoticon]
Also never stay in CG,
if I did Id pay cash or Debit Card

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Do most parks check/copy your ID? (Victims of ID theft)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.