RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: New Ford Chassis

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > New Ford Chassis

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the new Ford Chassis models are hitting showroom floors. I've seen very little info on these but the claim is that the new V8 has more power and is also more quiet. I also heard that the chassis rides smoother. Anyone have a chance to check them out in person?

I was always under the school of thought to pass on first generation models until they get the bugs worked out but if they are more quiet it could solve a lot of issues that the old F53 has/had.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Looks like the new Ford Chassis models are hitting showroom floors. I've seen very little info on these but the claim is that the new V8 has more power and is also more quiet. I also heard that the chassis rides smoother.



Watch this video ! It does cover some other subjects but it has a short test drive of a 2021 Class A chassis.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Looks like the new Ford Chassis models are hitting showroom floors. I've seen very little info on these but the claim is that the new V8 has more power and is also more quiet. I also heard that the chassis rides smoother.



Watch this video ! It does cover some other subjects but it has a short test drive of a 2021 Class A chassis.


Thanks, so it looks like a lot of suspension upgrades will dramatically alter the ride. No mention of the noise though. I guess a lot of that is still dependent on RV manufacturer insulation and build quality. No real mention of road feedback that's so problematic on the old F53. Hated the bone shattering feedback on separation joints and bad roads.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not enough of a change to be excited about!
Let’s see independent front suspension, and an air ride option. Maybe they can gear them properly, many are under geared which makes them extremely slow, and OD useless. Not too mention having to turn on Tow Haul every time you start it!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Not enough of a change to be excited about!
Let’s see independent front suspension, and an air ride option.

That would be a HUGE cost increase ! One of the reasons that the F53 sells well is it low cost compared to other manufacturers.

(Do ANY Class A's actually have independent front suspension ?)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Not enough of a change to be excited about!
Let’s see independent front suspension, and an air ride option.

That would be a HUGE cost increase ! One of the reasons that the F53 sells well is it low cost compared to other manufacturers.

(Do ANY Class A's actually have independent front suspension ?)


The air suspension would be absorbed by the higher end class A coaches. I would pay to have it.

As far as the independent front suspension. GM had it under their chassis. It would put them in the 21st century as far as ride and handling go. it wouldn't cost that much to design it. while they are at it they could add a trac bar to the rear axle. lots of needed upgrades for minimal cost and effort. would put them at the front of the competition they need and don't have. GM or Chrysler could jump in and design a chassis just like I stated and Ford would be scrambling to get it done.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

The air suspension would be absorbed by the higher end class A coaches. I would pay to have it.

Rear air springs would be nice, but probably add almost $10,000 to the base price.


dodge guy wrote:

As far as the independent front suspension. GM had it under their chassis.

A Class A is basically a Medium Duty truck, (like an F650/F750). I don't know of any Medium Duty truck built today that uses an independent front suspension.

Class C are built on a lighter chassis and yes, GM does have IFS.

dodge guy wrote:

While they are at it they could add a trac bar to the rear axle.

I am a retired automotive engineer with 31 years of experience. I feel qualified to tell you that a "track bar" (proper name is Panhard rod/bar) is not the correct solution to reduce body roll/sway. A better sway bar is the correct answer, and if you watched the video I linked before, you will see that the 2021 F53 has an upgraded rear sway bar.

dodge guy wrote:

GM or Chrysler could jump in and design a chassis just like I stated ...

Chrysler got out the the Medium Duty truck business over 30 years ago. Gm got out over 10 years ago.

It unlikely that either will get back in that market place because of the billions of dollars it would take to design and tool up manufacturing. The only reason Ford is still in the business is because they have capable diesel and gasoline engines and transmissions that they upgraded from their Super Duty pickup truck line.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 09/27/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford F53 page mentions this as optional:

Driver Assist Technology: Automatic Emergency Braking, Distance Alert/Distance Indication, Post-collision Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, Driver Alert System and Auto-High Beam Control

I'd pay for that!!

GM sold their medium truck operation to Workhorse in the 90's. Workhorse seems to be struggling today.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/22/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

The air suspension would be absorbed by the higher end class A coaches. I would pay to have it.

Rear air springs would be nice, but probably add almost $10,000 to the base price.


dodge guy wrote:

As far as the independent front suspension. GM had it under their chassis.

A Class A is basically a Medium Duty truck, (like an F650/F750). I don't know of any Medium Duty truck built today that uses an independent front suspension.

Class C are built on a lighter chassis and yes, GM does have IFS.

dodge guy wrote:

While they are at it they could add a trac bar to the rear axle.

I am a retired automotive engineer with 31 years of experience. I feel qualified to tell you that a "track bar" (proper name is Panhard rod/bar) is not the correct solution to reduce body roll/sway. A better sway bar is the correct answer, and if you watched the video I linked before, you will see that the 2021 F53 has an upgraded rear sway bar.

dodge guy wrote:

GM or Chrysler could jump in and design a chassis just like I stated ...

Chrysler got out the the Medium Duty truck business over 30 years ago. Gm got out over 10 years ago.

It unlikely that either will get back in that market place because of the billions of dollars it would take to design and tool up manufacturing. The only reason Ford is still in the business is because they have capable diesel and gasoline engines and transmissions that they upgraded from their Super Duty pickup truck line.


I agree with you on some, but....

A 4 corner air ride option from an OEM would be far less than $10k

You are correct, their is no MDT that has independent font suspension. But the time has come for it to happen, the basic chassis is modeled after trucks from the 40's!

And yes hey added a rear sway bar, but adding a rear trac bar/pang are bar would definitely make driving it that much better. Mine has larger front and rear Hellwigs and it handles much better than my buddy's 2017. But it still has the rear steer from the axle movement!

And yes, I doubt (unfortunately) that GM or Chrysler will ever develop a chassis. Which is a shame because Ford needs the competition to make the chassis better.

Yes, the electronics integration is nice, but it's like putting a Bluetooth touchscreen stereo with a backup camera in a model T! Yes it makes it seem newer, but it's still installed in an archaic chassis and does nothing for it's safety!!!!

Blaster Man

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/23/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Not enough of a change to be excited about!
Let’s see independent front suspension, and an air ride option.

That would be a HUGE cost increase ! One of the reasons that the F53 sells well is it low cost compared to other manufacturers.

(Do ANY Class A's actually have independent front suspension ?)


Most of the larger Class A RVs have IFS.


2014 American Eagle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

 > New Ford Chassis
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.