|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying a TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CleverName

Wilmington

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The math checks out. I've just heard concern on the length but I'm getting a good hitch.

On that subject, are any of you familiar with the Husky line of WDH with Antisway? That's what my local dealer equips and I just wanted to know any good or bad impressions.

joedekock

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not familiar, but I would not consider anything less than the Equalizer E4, or Hensley Arrow if you can swing it.

CleverName wrote:

The math checks out. I've just heard concern on the length but I'm getting a good hitch.

On that subject, are any of you familiar with the Husky line of WDH with Antisway? That's what my local dealer equips and I just wanted to know any good or bad impressions.

2019 Silverado 1500
2020 Coachmen Freedom Express 29SE
Me, Wife, 5 kids, and a Doodle

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Equalizer 4-pt, Reese Strait Line, or Blueox Swaypro are all in the ~$500 range. I have 10yrs with the Reese and love it.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CleverName wrote:

Im happy with my husky centerline. It seems pretty easy to adjust and the truck handles great! I've got a 2006 half ton with a 5.3 and im around 4500# loaded though.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your trailer WILL weigh a lot more than the advertised numbers, maybe as much as 1000 lbs. So, be sure you weigh it before trying to pull it with the 5.3. The GM 6.0 engine is fantastic for towing, find one. Those 3.42 gears won't help, 3.73 at a minimum. While it'll get you going down the road, you probably won't enjoy listening how hard the engine is working. Transmission cooler mandatory. Yes, Equal-i-zer been using one since 1988.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJJJ wrote:

Your trailer WILL weigh a lot more than the advertised numbers, maybe as much as 1000 lbs. So, be sure you weigh it before trying to pull it with the 5.3. The GM 6.0 engine is fantastic for towing, find one. Those 3.42 gears won't help, 3.73 at a minimum. While it'll get you going down the road, you probably won't enjoy listening how hard the engine is working. Transmission cooler mandatory. Yes, Equal-i-zer been using one since 1988.

i can agree with the gearing. My 5.3 with the 3.42's does ok but i need to keep speed at 65-70. at 75mph the truck rpms are screaming away. The chambered muffler doesn't help. Gets obnoxious.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add that the advice here is spot on. You don't want to be at your max tow ratings. Its not fun, add in some mountains and your truck will be a dog. O had a 2012 gmc with the heavy duty tow package, it can tow stuff but it was at high rpms the whole way. Just didnt make for a confterble ride.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

CleverName

Wilmington

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate everyone's advice on this. I'm going to get the 27 footer and invest in a good hitch and brake controller. It's the size camper I need for my family. If I find that my truck is struggling or for some reason I can't handle the setup to my liking I'll look into upgrading for sure. Thanks so far everyone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying a TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.