|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Several questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
cherylmagill

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are thinking of getting an RV to travel in. His family is in WA State, and all of mine are in or close to SC. My husband is a retired Seattle firefighter. He knows about RVs but I have never driven them. He is 75, and I will soon be 63. I have to do all of the driving as my husband cannot drive any more (head injury several years ago). He still knows how to do things but I will have to drive the RV.

We only have one car now, but I am wondering if I should just trade this in for a truck. If so I was thinking I wanted an RV with a W/D in it as we will be traveling across country. Is having a W/D a good idea or is it better to just visit a laundromat? Also, which RVs with W/D would be the best? We are planning to visit his sons up in WA State and stay up there for a few months then travel back to SC, visiting other areas along the way.

We need an RV that is comfortable for two people. I would like to have a nice kitchen with an island, an awning for us to sit under, plenty of storage, and a nice TV. Also, how do you get internet in an RV?

I am sorry to ask so many questions, but if someone could give me a list of what RVs to consider and any important questions we need to ask, I would sure appreciate it. Also, I want something that is easy for a novice to drive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is a wide open question but first it depends on what you have to spend. Hard to make any recommendations. Washer and dryer jumps up the size and cost. Will you just want it to travel or park most of the time? A larger class C or smaller class A has a lot going for it. If just starting out I would recommend looking at a used rv to give it a try.

al

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I’ve seen (I don’t have a washer/dryer) you have a small load every day since they’re not like your home’s setup. A motor home would probably be best for driving and backing for someone with no or little experience. You should visit a few dealers to get an idea what you might like. Here’s the best advice you’ll get; DO NOT buy from a dealer until you get final suggestions and answers from this forum. There have been many posts from buyers complaining about issues that could have easily been avoided had they come here before buying. Visiting a dealer can also give you an idea of what’s out there floor plan and cost wise. Good luck and come back once you’ve narrowed down your wants.

cherylmagill

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much. We are thinking of getting a Jayco. Husband does not think the W/D is that important. He thinks getting a fifth wheel might be the answer. Husband thinks we should trade the car for a truck. Trucks are awfully expensive, though. Thinking maybe a used truck would be the best. Anybody have any ideas on what year/what brand of truck we should get. We don't want to spend loads of money on either the trailer/fifth wheel or the truck. The other option would be a class C, but I am worried about how much those are. Any thoughts?

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe rent an RV for a week for a short trip. You may be OK driving one but you may hate it. Less cost than buying one and having to sell because you don't like it. Renting will also give you a better idea of how big you want to go.
If you are visiting family, use their washer and dryer, otherwise laundromats are the way to go.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few things to consider... Do you really want a big truck to use as a daily driver, go site seeing, running to the store? How comfortable are you backing up a fifth wheel, boat, trailer? Many campgrounds such as KOA’s have laundry facilities that are usually open 24/7 so I’m not sure it should be high on your list of needs. If you were planning on living in the RV full time then yes opt for a w/d. Before you swap vehicles decide what type RV you really want by going to a big dealer and check out a class C, class A, and of course a fifth wheel. Compare real storage area, tank sizes, livability. Some class C’s allow use of the front seats while parked, some don’t.

Where in SC are you?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not maybe, Tyler, rent first is the best tryout.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buy a nice car, and stay in motels, the cost of repairs is out of site, time for the two of you to take life easy.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Maybe rent an RV for a week for a short trip. You may be OK driving one but you may hate it. Less cost than buying one and having to sell because you don't like it. Renting will also give you a better idea of how big you want to go.
If you are visiting family, use their washer and dryer, otherwise laundromats are the way to go.

Yep. Rent an RV for a weekend before you buy one. Though my wife CAN and has driven an RV and towed across country, she will never do it again.....and she's one confident woman (65).

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you haven't towed or driven large vehicle, I would suggest some "rethinking".
Maybe a small motorhome, (sans washer and drier) Something either in a class B or C. 22-26 foot box. Some are built on Mercedes or Ford Sprinter bodies, are more fuel efficient and can be quite comfortable for two people.
An example of the sprinter type units Melbourne
And the full sized class C units based on full sized van chassis. Forester
As others have mentioned, many campgrounds have laundry facilities, and others can be found easy enough.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Several questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.