|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fridge won't fit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a new RV 4 door fridge put in my Zephyr DP. They removed the dinette window to get it out and the new one in and it was very tight.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The camper door is like 21" wide. If you remove the door the rough opening is like 23". From the Dometic Website

Dimensions product depth 24 11/16 "
Dimensions product height 43 7/16 "
Dimensions product width 24 7/8 "

I remember our TT had a wider door and also had a huge dinette window so that would have made easy access. The opening big enough on this camper would be if the slide was removed.

This is all working out for the best, since the slide needs to come out anyway so I can repair the rot in the frame underneath it. I just wasn't prepared to take it out last night. This also gives us the opportunity to go from a 3-way to a 2-way absorption fridge, since I couldn't find any advantages at all to running on 12v. We always ran the TT fridge on propane when underway and expect to do the same here. We found a brand new scratch-n-dent RM-2551 for about half of what it retails for.

The fridge is right next to the slide out, so with that wall clean, I can rebuild all of the framing, install the fridge and then re-install the slide.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Paradox123

Pine Junction, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

since I couldn't find any advantages at all to running on DC.

We run our fridge on DC when traveling. The solar panels keep the batteries fully charged as long as there is daylight.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there done that...

Window method

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJ, that’s awesome. That’s the kind of “I can do this!” attitude I’ve always admired. You have my utmost respect, mainly ‘cause that’s just the way I would have done it! [emoticon]

Unfortunately, the OP’s camper doesn’t have a single window with dimensions big enough to do that. His camper is very much like mine, especially in the size and design of the dinette slide out. The biggest window in our campers is the one above the dinette table. But, because it’s in a slide out, the window rough opening is only about 20” tall.

It’s always good to keep all options in mind though. Your technique may very well save someone else’s day. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My ignorance but I left the fridge on while parked beside the tractor barn on too much of a side slope. This was in '84.....older units had to be pretty level to work right. Burnt a hole in a fridge tube so I had too remove the door/frame to get the old out. The new fridge wouldn't go through the door opening....so I took the big dinette window out.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, there is still hope. You can get a rebuilt cooling unit (the coil metal thing on the back side), and this will fit out the door. The fridge box is fine and can be used forever as long as it is intact.
The bad news is that replacing a cooling unit is no fun when it is on the driveway, but it is possible to do it inside of the camper if you can turn the fridge the right direction to get access.

Slymer

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched a video once where they put a moving blanket on the dinette after setting it down. Took the old fridge out, put it on moving blanket & cut it in half and out the door. Then the new fridge they took apart, brought the pieces in to the blanket & put it back together & installed it Long process but it worked without damage. Can't remember where I saw it.

Fishbreath

home

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 1995 Lance that I had to replace the refrigerator. That was a battle. I did take the entry door apart and completely disassembled the refrigerator. This included removing the spray foam. It was a mess.
I was able to disassemble the new unit into smaller components to get it inside. After reassembly, I was amazed that it still worked.
The entire process was a major pain and I would not want to do it again.
Good luck with your project.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is wrong with these camper mfg's?

No way to remove a fridge?

That is some damning engineering in my opinion, or lack of!

We love our BF as we have a couple of others. One camper, a 80 6pac the fridge would fit through the door as the door was BIGGER than todays RV doors...

Are the RV door companies in control of the construction of these campers and RV's?

Just maddening that they are just following the HERD!

Thank god our Fridge is still functional and it is not too techieee. So we can replace the cooling unit if needed. . 20 years and counting and it cools like a champ!

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Fridge won't fit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.