|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Fighting local zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Obatanga Borealis

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances that prevent or strictly impede RV owners from parking their rigs in their own paved driveways or on their own property! These rules are wholly unfair. It seems zoning officers, in their quest to restrict derelict vehicles from driveways, have lumped RV owners into the same group and it's a terrible injustice. How do RV groups fight this wholesale discrimination by petty local officials???

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start attending the city council meetings in your community, get to know the folks on the board and voice your concerns. There are so many pros and cons to RV's and being on personal property. It's a slippery slope and one that needs to be addressed accordingly. With many choosing to live full time in their coaches it presents a new set of issues.
I own and store mine behind my home. My neighbor parked his class A on the street, which are narrow to begin with, and it annoyed even me.
Now, HOA's are another entirely different story. i would live in my car before living in another HOA neighborhood......

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate posting.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The enforcement people are only doing the job they were hired to do. The people the make the rules are elected by the people.

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many times have you discussed this issue with your council member? Similar to researching public schools, local taxes, unfunded public pensions, water availability etc. you should have researched this issue prior to buying.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before your next move, check the local ordinances and try to find a property with adequate and "discrete" RV parking, out of the view of the curb/roadway, and not blocking the views left/right of the neighbors, if any. View blocking is often the main reason for restricting parking them in front of the house, or close to the roadway in the driveway. But do check the rules before you buy. The rest of what klutchdust suggested, as well.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a difficult but not ridiculous issue. There are very nice RVs out there. And there are RVs still being used that you wonder how they still hold together. There are two options. No rules about keeping them at a residence. Or restrictions against all of them. You can’t write an ordinance that says this one is ok but that one is not. An ordinance stating it was ok if it cannot be seen from the street or by your neighbors would be acceptable. Otherwise prohibiting it altogether is the best option. Anything in between will only cause problems.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was a concern of mine, which it is, then I would investigate the rules of the HOA or Inc. village before I bought.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

If it was a concern of mine, which it is, then I would investigate the rules of the HOA or Inc. village before I bought.

Yup, you're absolutely right. The term "due diligence" just isn't in some peoples vocabularies.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Research apparently doesn't run in his blood. He has the exact same thread running in another forum which is, of course, prohibited by the Forum Rules.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Fighting local zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.