|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Fighting local zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Obatanga Borealis

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, wapiti country, back off. Your rudeness is not appreciated.

Obatanga Borealis

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just looking for a discussion on the matter. And my research skills far outweigh yours, wapiti.

VA-Apraisr

glen allen, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I moved to my HOA community, was told no RV's in driveway or on your property, period! Been here 9 years and last year, I actually read the covenants and informed the HOA board that I could, in fact, have an RV on my property. They again read only the first few lines stating "no RV may be left in front driveway or on street". I stated that is correct, however, keep reading. The next lines stated "an RV may be kept on the property provided it's in the rear yard and out of general view from the adjacent neighbors and in an enclosed carport/garage". Their reply was "oh, I've never read that part of the covenants". This is the head of the board who answers calls from homeowners about restrictions! I promptly constructed my RV garage in my rear yard and am currently the only one to do so in a development with 1500+ houses around a 4-mile lake. It pays to READ THE COVENANTS/RESTRICTIONS. Wish I had done that 9 years ago.

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obatanga Borealis wrote:

Just looking for a discussion on the matter. And my research skills far outweigh yours, wapiti.
I am not so sure. Your original post states you are faced with zoning issues AGAIN. What are the old saws that apply? Try, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." and " never get bit by the same dog twice". It's pretty obvious most people don't think you will beat city hall on this issue.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My suburb has an ordinance that says no parking "within sight of the street". It is routinely violated and I have never heard of anyone ever being fined.

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances...”

“And my research skills far outweigh yours, wapiti.“

Really?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in an HOA that allows RV's in the side yard, the development was designed for just that- all the houses have RV gates. I can somewhat understand the thinking behind restricting RV parking. Aside from blocking views on streets (that can make exiting driveways a real treat) lots of RV's sit 50 weeks a year, with torn covers and other garbage piled around. On the other hand, lots are used regularly, are well maintained and look fine. As previously mentioned, its difficult to split hairs when writing ordinances- so everything gets banned.
End result, these ordinances aren't created in a vacuum, one must go to meetings and get active.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/20 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obatanga Borealis wrote:

We just moved to a new township and AGAIN are faced with ridiculous local zoning ordinances that prevent or strictly impede RV owners from parking their rigs in their own paved driveways or on their own property! These rules are wholly unfair. It seems zoning officers, in their quest to restrict derelict vehicles from driveways, have lumped RV owners into the same group and it's a terrible injustice. How do RV groups fight this wholesale discrimination by petty local officials???
I am OK with the rules and respect your efforts to change them.
Honestly if it is that important I would think a person would check on this before they move.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the most part, I appreciate covenants and restrictions. But sometimes they can go too far. The neighborhood we live in is a nice compromise, allowing RVs in driveways. Still, when we built our house in 1988, we incorporated one of the 3 garage bays taller and deeper for a motor home we did not own. Little did I know at the time, the provision was not big enough. It was very difficult to find a motor home that actually fit. Clicking on my signature and scrolling down includes a picture of our side-entry garage that is hidden by the street with a retaining wall.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thread closed. See OP other thread.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Super C Group Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Fighting local zoning ordinances that hurt RV owners
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.