RV.Net Open Roads Forum: When I'm driving do I run my fridge on propane or electric?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> When I'm driving do I run my fridge on propane or electric?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Propane.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hubby won't run the fridge on propane underway, so we set it to electric and it runs off our solar system.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be a good idea to check your propane hoses for leaks. Get soapy water and gently rock the hose back and forth. Mine will leak at the built in swivel. But only sometimes. Took me awhile to find it.

While driving down the road you wouldnt want a leak to ruin your food.

Someone on a different thread had mentioned squirting a little WD40 on the swivel joint. I did that and moved the swivel around. Hoping to clean the joint. It sorta worked. Meant to buy new hoses like 2-3 years ago. I still have the bad hose installed and make sure its not leaking after i move the trailer. Always have a bottle of soapy water with me. Same with a simple green mixture. They both come in handy a lot especially out camping.

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the tips. We'll use propane. Have boondocked for 4 days before without problems. Will not need ac or furnace for this part of the trip.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fought fires for 30 years and some of those fires were rv's that traveled with the frig on propane. and after saying so on this forum got a lot of static from the members that I didn't know what I was talking about. well, there is a gas station in this town that was rebuilt because of a frig propane fire mishap. and many rv frames sitting int he wrecking yards of propane fire mishaps. I point out that the RV Dr and mark at rv education 101 feel the same way I do and in their videos state not to travel with propane on to the fridge. I travel with small ice packs in the fridge to help keep the frig cold. when I park at night or reach my destination the ice packs go into the freezer to refreeze. I feel safer this way then pushing my luck with a fire going down the road or buying fuel in a gas station with an open flame in the back of the fridge. but it's your rv . you can push your own luck or travel safely.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I fought fires for 30 years and some of those fires were rv's that traveled with the frig on propane. and after saying so on this forum got a lot of static from the members that I didn't know what I was talking about. well, there is a gas station in this town that was rebuilt because of a frig propane fire mishap. and many rv frames sitting int he wrecking yards of propane fire mishaps. I point out that the RV Dr and mark at rv education 101 feel the same way I do and in their videos state not to travel with propane on to the fridge. I travel with small ice packs in the fridge to help keep the frig cold. when I park at night or reach my destination the ice packs go into the freezer to refreeze. I feel safer this way then pushing my luck with a fire going down the road or buying fuel in a gas station with an open flame in the back of the fridge. but it's your rv . you can push your own luck or travel safely.

When we first opened our RV Shop in the early 70's motorhomes were burning down gas stations at a pretty alarming rate from people not shutting off the propane fridge when the filled up with gas. The story/theory is: The burner is drawing air, the fumes from the gas hose filling the rig, which happens to be adjacent to the fridge. Draws in the fume, makes the big bang and it's all over. It's not really much different now days, but I think since the "islands" have such higher canopies and things are spread out more it doesn't seem to happen as much. Driving down the road with the propane fridge on will have no affect on anything so long as everything is right and tight

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree ,we turn our frig off before we pull in for fuel.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm, my frig flame is on opposite side of fuel for my truck and at 30ft, sits well behind.

I certainly understand the concern but over 20 years of towing with frig running on Propane and no BOOM.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

propane

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always run propane traveling. When I had mh I turned it off to refuel. 5th wheel I never do. Its far away from pumps when refueling.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> When I'm driving do I run my fridge on propane or electric?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.