|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Grey water pump into portable waste tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going camping in a few weeks in a state park in Colorado. We have been there many times and there are no full hook ups, only electric and we take a portable waste tank that we pull to the dump station. It is actually quite a drive, hilly and has speed bumps to get to the dump station, but it works if you're really carefull.

This year I dont know if the showers will be open when we go or if they are, if we feel comfortable using them. I was thinking about putting the waste tank in the back of the truck and then pump the grey water into it.

The macerator pumps seem to need a water connection and would only generate more waste. Any recommendations for a similar pump that could pump it perhaps 4 feet up into the back of a truck and 25-30 ft distance wise?

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grey water? This will work just fine. I've used this to empty pools full of muddy water.
Pump
Mod edit to make clickable link.

* This post was edited 06/25/20 06:37pm by an administrator/moderator *

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbischops wrote:

We are going camping in a few weeks in a state park in Colorado. We have been there many times and there are no full hook ups, only electric and we take a portable waste tank that we pull to the dump station. It is actually quite a drive, hilly and has speed bumps to get to the dump station, but it works if you're really carefull.

This year I dont know if the showers will be open when we go or if they are, if we feel comfortable using them. I was thinking about putting the waste tank in the back of the truck and then pump the grey water into it.

The macerator pumps seem to need a water connection and would only generate more waste. Any recommendations for a similar pump that could pump it perhaps 4 feet up into the back of a truck and 25-30 ft distance wise?

Macerator pump does not need a water supply and does not create any create any more waste. It is built to do exactly what you want it do do. It does have a hose connection for washout but I do not think anyone uses it. I just bought one to hook up this year that will pump 50' horizonal distance and 5' vertical distance to dump my black tank. I can run gray on the ground where I stay. Google is your friend' $219.00. Mine pump thru a standard Garden hose.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most macerator pumps only use a water connection for flushing the pump after emptying the black tank. And for longer stays you could also use the pump for the black tank of course. If the black tank is emptied first and then the grey tank, a rinse usually isn't needed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dmck413

Fluvanna Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the pump jdc1 suggested to pump my grey water into a 35 gallon tank in the back of my truck. Have been doing this for many years at state parks.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a macerator pump that does not use electricity but only a hose connection to pump and chop the discharge. I suspect this is what the OP is using. To the OP, look into the FloJet 12V macerator which works more like a garbage disposal and uses no water.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor freight has this 12V pump for about $50.

If you have any Ryobi 18V tools, Ryobi makes a transfer pump that uses their 18V batteries or you can plug in the female end of an extension where you insert the battery to use it with 120vAC.

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get one of these. With my Dewalt 18v drill it will pump 5 1/2 gpm and will work pumping gray water. I use one to transfer fresh water from a tank in my truck bed into my RV holding tank. Works really well and cheap.Drill pump

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Brettmm92

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have the FloJet macerator. As others said, you do the black water, then the grey water. And then rinsing afterwards is easy if you have the option of another, clean water hose. It comes with instructions, a case and the customer support is good.

If you can afford it and plan to use it, it's a solid and reliable tool. Before I knew how to use it, I thought there was more solids in my black water because everything came out so quickly and I ran it dry for 15 minutes not knowing my black water tank was empty (recommended to only use for 15 minutes at a time on instructions). I honestly couldn't believe that it emptied a full tank in such a short time. My ignorant abuse of the tool shows how well it can work as it still works just fine. You do need to connect it to a battery, I would always use my trucks battery since I didn't have one on my trailer.

flojet link

dbischops

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. I initially looked at a video of the macerator and they hooked up the water hose, but since then looked at the manual and it is indeed for cleanout only.

Altough I like the idea of the macerator, I dont think I would use it a lot and it is just something else to carry and break down so I am going to look at the regular pumps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Grey water pump into portable waste tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.