RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How to price a used fifth wheel.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How to price a used fifth wheel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gm.chief

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2011 heartland Elkridge bunkhouse. Its 38’, four slides (2 are bunkhouse) 2 bathrooms, and the bunkhouse has two bunk beds. No outdoor kitchen. We RVed full-time for four years with our four kids. At this time, since it’ll be another five before we can RV again, we are wanting to sell. It needs a new floor on the main level and new kitchen, new trim in bunkhouse and secdon bathroom (kids make for extra wear and tear), and the roof needs to be resealed. Needs new couches. Everything else is fine.

How do you price this? We were gonna just give it to a scrapper. But a handyman working on our home wants to buy it. He has younger kids and it would be great for them, and he knows how to fix things. I don’t want to barter because if the job he’s working on ends up dramatically more or less involved, one of us will feel like they got a raw deal. So I need a dollar amount.

Thank you for your help!

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were going to give it to a scrapper, why not just give it to him?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Gm.chief

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Money? Lol. We need to be done with it and I know that he will require some help from us. He has never RVed before.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just sell it to him $50.bucks keeps everything happy.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 2011 FW of that size will certainly have SOME value. It sounds like it needs lots of work, as well a many things replaced. Just sell it to him at a price he will jump at, and both of you should be happy. I'd think at least 2k, but keep it an amount that you know he can afford, as well as cost of fixing.

Jerry

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another option, you know a dealer will low ball you, so ask a couple for offers, and sell to your handyman for that amount.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Another option, you know a dealer will low ball you, so ask a couple for offers, and sell to your handyman for that amount.

^^^ Best Answer!

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go on nada.com and get their "low retail" value. Print it out, show it to him, cut it in half or less and offer that to him.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Go on nada.com and get their "low retail" value. Print it out, show it to him, cut it in half or less and offer that to him.

My suggestion too . . . or barter with him on the work he is doing for you based on this information.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

And here is why you see so many posts about how dealerships don't treat every inquiry as if a million dollars of profit is hanging in the balance. People think nothing about wasting the time of salespeople and other dealer personnel. You are already admitting you don't trust dealers by saying they will "lowball" you. Why should they treat you with respect when you are perfectly willing to deceive them to obtain a valuation for an RV even though you have no intention of doing business with them.
Dealers are not in the business of giving out appraisals so people can determine a fair price for private sales. Engaging their services to take advantage of their expertise without any intention of actually making a transaction is wrong. It is no different than asking a plumber or an electrician to come to your house to troubleshoot a problem under the guise of "free estimates" and then when they find the issue tell them "thanks" but I think I will just fix it myself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How to price a used fifth wheel.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.