|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is camping Fun Anymore

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
jarata1

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being a full timer for the last couple years I notice a change in camping styles.It seems now when you go to campgrounds mostly state but some private,you can count on about 8-10 people camping on the side of you.I like to go camping camping to relax not to listen to parties.
Maybe Im destined to boondock or forget about this style of life.
Anyone else feel this way.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear ya. We are a family of 4, but it seems state parks (our fav unless we can get in a national park) have "parties" as you mention. I have seen (heard actually) stereos blasting from 4 campsites away or more...and folks livin' it up till midnite. On the other hand, I've seen large groups gather 'round the campfire till midnite...and not make an issue of it as they talk within the group and not make their presence known. If you are out having fun, be respectful!

Still, we are not done yet. For us, it does allow mobility and unique experiences for our kids and dogs...while seeing the real America...national parks. So, we take the good with the bad.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ear plugs.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in large groups (extended family or friends are almost always with us)
we stay up late
we often consume alcohol
we never have the sterio pumping
we sit around the campfire
conversations are had, songs are sung (while the kids are up and its not that late)
food is had
more food is had
more more food is had
we dont disturb.........

ive had trouble with couples, solo campers and small groups.
its not the numbers its the individuals that make the problems.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are on public park, bring it up to the park ranger. I found them would act promptly.

My kids almost got kicked out of a national park just because they must be giggling too loudly past quiet time.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The previous 5 years, I've spent a month or so hosting at an NFS campground, and the last 60 years or so camping from time to time. As long as I can remember, there have been occasional encounters with narcissistic campers who disturbed others. I have not particularly noticed much increase in their numbers. But I also haven't been camping yet this season, partly because it has been raining a lot here, and the field through which I have to drag the TT to turn around before I can leave home with it has been too soft to attempt.

But I would not be surprised given the current state of affairs to find the loud party crowd more frequently camping out. People are being encouraged to take their mass assemblages outdoors.

Those I have encountered over the years ranged from the family that may have all been particularly hard of hearing, in the sense of not realizing how loud they were. I remember being awakened early one Saturday morning by the two kids INSIDE their own TT, carefully whispering back and forth so as to not wake anybody, parents in particular. Thing is, they didn't realize that their breathy whispers were around 80 dB.

There was also the group of college kids around a campfire just before midnight, who, though respectful of my hostly request to keep it down, clearly did not understand that voices carry a long way in the otherwise silent woods. In their defense, they did remind one another to tone it down from time to time after I made my request. They were trying.

Only once have I encountered folks who were aggressively entitled and in-your-face. They were both drunk and delusional, having decided both that we were an Amish extended family (because one of us had a beard) and that we had 35 children (3, by my count) on site. That was a long weekend, btw, as the private campground management lacked the balls to toss them out. The pile of beer cans they accumulated was impressive.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the West, public campgrounds like USFS have the weekend crowds that are noisy on Fri and Sat nights. Usually okay the rest of the week. I avoid campgrounds in summer and boondock. Spring and fall they can be fine. A little frost takes out a lot of tent campers.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sort of like eating dessert all the time. Maybe you are getting tired of the life style.

Maybe some new country would help.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping will always be enjoyable to us, but as you indicated, you have to pick how you like to camp so that it continues to be enjoyable for you. We prefer FS CG's to state parks, depending on the time of year, and over all our favorite is boondocking so that we can be alone and away from the crowds. State parks are nice in the fall after the kids are back in school.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've noticed a slightly different phenomenon where the majority of the campers (at least it feels that way) are long term guests/residents. I feel like we get a lot of stares from the people who obviously live there. It's a very different vibe than the travelers.

I've always enjoyed the casual "where ya from...where ya headed?" conversations, but there's none of that with the residents. We're lucky to get more than a "hi" or "how do you do" if we even get eye contact.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is camping Fun Anymore
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.