|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 100 watt Solar decision

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Brettmm92

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed that walmart sells golf cart batteries but the ones I saw where 12 volts.
Would that be just as good as two 6 volt golf cart batteries?

Walmart 12V Golf Cart battery

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brettmm92 wrote:

I noticed that walmart sells golf cart batteries but the ones I saw where 12 volts.
Would that be just as good as two 6 volt golf cart batteries?

Walmart 12V Golf Cart battery

No, as it is only 60 amp-hours--i.e. you would need 4.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a WindyNation 100 watt kit for about the same price, I also bouhgt a second panel and I am happy with what I have.

I used sticky feet to mount the pannel on my fiberglass roof. No holes but pretty spendy.

I suggest you search reviews not wib sites and find out what fits your needs.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Brettmm92

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After dedicating serious time looking around for batteries, I feel like out of accessibility interstate batteries might be the winner. Lots of people don't like shipping batteries, probably because they have heavy lead in them? Anyways, I live in a rural area and even I have a store that's an "interstate dealer" near me. But the terminals look a lil different than all of the other ones I've been looking at, surely they are still compatible with everything. Right?

Interstate 6v "Extreme Cycle" Battery

And Pianotuna, why are you so interested in getting those SiO2 Batteries?

Brettmm92

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is this what you mean by stickyfeet?

stickyfeet bracket link

I'm glad you posted because making holes is one reason I am not considering mounting yet. I don't understand how people modify their Campers and are so confident that they won't drill through a wire. Is there a trick to figuring out where the wires are or something?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brettmm92 wrote:

After dedicating serious time looking around for batteries, I feel like out of accessibility interstate batteries might be the winner. Lots of people don't like shipping batteries, probably because they have heavy lead in them?

Lead-acid batteries are considered hazardous materials

Brettmm92 wrote:

And Pianotuna, why are you so interested in getting those SiO2 Batteries?

1. because they can be used and charged at -40.

2. because they share most of the attributes of LI batteries, especially they do not sulfate on partial charges.

3. 2800 cycles (7.6 years of daily use) to 50% state of charge or 1500 cycles (4.1 years of daily use) to 20% state of charge.

4. sealed so almost no maintenance.

5. the 100 amp-hour can handle a surge of 900 amps for 5 seconds. That, I believe is far better than LI can do. As I'll have 4 of them that becomes a surge of 3500 amps. At 50% that gives me capacity of 200 amp-hours and at 20% 320 amp-hours. At the moment I have 556 amp-hours of fairly old AGM Telcom jars. So the SiO2 represents an upgrade for usable storage. I do have room for six SiO2 and may do that.

6. 1/2 to 1/3 the price of LI

7. with that life span and me no longer being full time it should be the last set I ever need to buy.

* This post was edited 06/29/20 02:06pm by pianotuna *

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brettmm92 wrote:

Thats funny because the Trojan is the specific battery that popped up for 1000$
That's $1000$ for 4 of them.

* This post was edited 06/29/20 09:14am by 2oldman *

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are really something. An obvious novice comes on here asking about a beginner system and you have to show how superior you are by changing the subject to SiO2 Batteries without even telling the guy how they would be of great value to him. Only to you.

To the OP: The Harbor Freight or any other "Kit" may not be the best bang for the buck, but for pocket change they can introduce you to solar. Within minutes the kits can be providing enough energy to charge cell phones, etc. which is what you asked about.

As far as batteries, most Walmarts stock Group 27DC batteries (The DC stands for Deep cycle, not Marine starting) One 27DC has 109 amp hour rating. two have 218 AH which is almost exactly the same as 2 6 volt golf cart batteries at 220 AH. The advantage? The 12 volt batteries can be used as singles, doubles, triples and so forth with simple parallel wiring, not the zig zag and multiples of two required for the six volt units. And don't let the so called exerts turn you off on solar with their bragging. It can be fun, educational, and practical.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brettmm92 wrote:

I never thought of auto parts store having them

I problem I've had asking about batteries at an auto part store is, they ask you what make and model of vehicle you have. They are geared toward fitting the battery in a vehicle, not RV electrical storage.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BrettMM, amazon deliver to you?
There's literally a half dozen or more different 6V 200ah type batteries on Amazon.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 100 watt Solar decision
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.