RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Opinion: 1991 Fleetwood Southwind 30'

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Opinion: 1991 Fleetwood Southwind 30'

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that 2014 Coachmen Freelander 21' is built on a Chevy Chassis as many were that would be a good choice.

If the price is right and condition is good it may worth looking into.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

A Good Cigar

Avondale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhudson1111 wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback...It's a MAJOR help to me! I am going to take a look at this one tomorrow and see how it goes. On another note, I just found this today: 2014 Coachmen Freelander 21' for a huge discount. It's smaller than wanted, but I've need to consider the age. The reason I talked about a gas generator previously on a larger rig was, that someone mentioned that if I'm going to live aboard or spend a lot of time on it, that a gas generator wouuld be needed for ongoing power of all appliances for multiple days. I'm learning as I go. If the majority agree not needed, I'm happy not to spend money on it [emoticon] Thanks!

DO NOT EVEN consider buying a motorhome with the onboard generator removed!!! That is one of the worst decisions a new RV'er can make. The whole point of a motorhome is that it's "self contained", it needs nothing else when properly equipped to live in it for days at a time. And what if your dash A/C isn't working or is inadequate to cool the entire RV? A lot of motorhome owners drive with the generator running & use the rooftop A/C for more cooling, especially if you have multiple passengers in the back or pets! Trailers and most fifth-wheels don't have onboard generators, and even those that do (upper-end fifth wheels & toy haulers) can't move without a tow vehicle.

If the motorhome is missing the generator, you have to ask yourself; what ELSE is is wrong or missing?!

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an alarmist, but 99.5% of motorhomes since the late '80s came with generators.

Happy hunting

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhudson1111 wrote:

,,, The reason I talked about a gas generator previously on a larger rig was, that someone mentioned that if I'm going to live aboard or spend a lot of time on it, that a gas generator would be needed for ongoing power of all appliances for multiple days. I'm learning as I go. If the majority agree not needed, I'm happy not to spend money on it [emoticon] Thanks!

The onboard generator should be size to power ALL appliances install when the coach rolled off the assembly line. The assembly line part is important as an owner installed second A/C might be too much for the generator with the original A/C also running. You should have the owner bring the generator on line and run the coach roof A/C and anything else you can easily turn on to try and load the generator as much as possible but staying within its designed limits.

As mentioned it would be unusual for a class A not to have a generator plus your description of the coach included "refurbished generator".

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

tom28

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As was mentioned there is no need to buy second generator. However, I'm the age of your motorhome. I don't trust the old ones. Look through fleetwood reviews

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/20 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "Fleetwood Reviews" are for the current Fleetwood and not the one from 1991.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Opinion: 1991 Fleetwood Southwind 30'
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.