|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Toyhauler hitch/truck setup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I dropped the camper off at the dealer for some work today. I did not have time to weigh with the camper since I was running late. I did weigh the truck on the way back though.

[image]

This was with a little over half a tank, but generally how I would roll (minus people) with the camper. It seems accurate total weight since that is roughly what I weigh when I roll on the scrapyard scale.

I drained the rest of the fresh water (there was approx 50-60 gallons) before I left. It was worse than the trip home. I played around with the airbag pressure, pumped up to 85 lbs and was still floaty.

What is the ratio supposed to be for steer to drive axle weight with the 5th wheel?

Also I measured front to rear at the camper store since the drive was pretty level. The front was 5" higher than the rear. That seems like a lot to me. I still think I am going to lower the front at least an inch or 2 regardless.

Once I pick it up in a couple weeks I can see what the camper weighs. I am tempted to ride my cycle up there and have the wife drive the truck, load the cycle and check the weights with and without the cycle so I can do it all in one shot.

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked my camper up today and was able to weigh it empty (no bike, no water, no food). Total weight is not far off what I figured. The pin has me scratching my head.

[image]

I had a little under a full tank of fuel.

Steer axle remained almost identical
Pin approx: 2,600lbs
Total trailer: 14,700 lbs

Pin comes in at 17%. If I load my Bike and water in the back (soon to be done and weighed again), I am adding approx 2000 lbs behind the trailer axle, lightening the pin even more.

It also puts me at the max GVWR for the trailer (16,800 lbs)and the 7K lb axles would be maxed out.

This seems far too light of a pin for the weight of trailer. However, the trailer towed great that way. What's everyones thoughts?

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mentioned new tires. How new? New tires can be squirrely.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's about what I'd expect with regard to your front axle weight. Fifth wheels have very little impact on front axle weight because they have no leverage on it. I haven't ever owned a toy hauler but my understanding is that they're typically a bit heavy on the pin/hitch to account for the fact that they are designed to carry a lot of weight behind the rear ale. Your pin at about 18% isn't overly light, but I'd also be curious what you'd lose with the garage loaded up.

New tires can make a big difference for the first few hundred miles, especially aggressive AT or MT type. After breaking in they tend to settle down.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2600lb pin is about right for an empty trailer. Mine is 2700lbs empty.
With my 5th wheel, once I filled up with 160 gallons of water and put my 3000lb sand rail in the back, my pin went to 3400lbs.
Don't assume putting stuff in the back/garage is going to lighten the pin much.
It mainly depends on the location of water tanks.
70% of my tanks are in front of the front axle. Ipso facto..... all goes to the pin.

2019 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Toyhauler hitch/truck setup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.