RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 15+ F150 - Breakaway Cable anchor?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 15+ F150 - Breakaway Cable anchor?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those with a current model F150, any recommendations on where/how to anchor the breakaway cable?

I've never liked anchoring it to the hitch, as it would do no good in the case of a hitch failure, but the manner in which the hitch is integrated into the bumper in my 2019 F150 is making it hard to find a distinct location to anchor the cable.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hook it to anything but the trailer itself. If the hitch "fails" on your '15+ F150 then you may have bigger issues at that particular moment.
I'd guess somewhere around 99.9% of trailers never come un-hitched nor odes the hitch break unexpectedly. And of the 0.01% that do have an issue, 99% of those cases are from the hitch being improperly connected somehow.
So if you have your bases covered, there is a 0.00001% chance you'll need the breakaway anyhow.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The engineers put tow hook rings on the hitch and not on the vehicle frame for a reason. Convenience and safety. Don’t try to think outside the box. Use a clasp/hook device and attach to the safety chain anchor rings.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put an extension on it, run it through the back window. then you can hold, like the pin on an anti tailgating granade

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my conversion van. I installed a stainless eyebolt to the van chassis. This way it would still pull the pin in case of the near impossible hitch separation. Find a place on the rear frame and do the same.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

The engineers put tow hook rings on the hitch and not on the vehicle frame for a reason. Convenience and safety. Don’t try to think outside the box. Use a clasp/hook device and attach to the safety chain anchor rings.

This question is about the breakaway cable, not the safety chains. Of course safety chains go on the hitch rings! The breakaway cable, on the other hand, is meant to engage the trailer brakes if the trailer separates from the truck. In the case of a hitch failure, the cable would not pull and the trailer brakes would not engage.

It's an unlikely scenario, but it always seemed smarter to connect the cable to the truck independently from the hitch itself. On my previous TV there was an easy way to wrap a steel cable around the frame - no such simple solution exists in the F150, so I was just wondering if other f150 owners have sought similar solutions.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have an F150, but I had the same concerns on my Suburban. My solution was to find a hole in the frame near the rear bumper. I through bolted an eye bolt through the frame hole and hung a snap hook in the eye bolt. Now I can hook my breakaway cable to the snap hook and it is separate from the bumper or hitch.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have a 2015 s'crew. i hook it to the safety chain loop with its own carribeaner. if i manage to sepporate the entire hitch assembly from the truck i have bigger problems.........

there are several places for a sepporation to happen downstream from the hitch that in most all situations will be the case first.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only seen or heard of 1 hitch failure (where the hitch separates from the tow vehicle). It was on a small unibody SUV and the hitch was still attached to the tow vehicle by 2 bolts just flopping around a bit. Of course the guy driving it was doing about 50mph on a really rough road (as in the small trailer was going airborne every 5-10 seconds).

If you want to put an eye-bolt on the bumper, as long as it has a fair lead, it should cause no harm but you are solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't most class 4 & 5 hitch receivers have minimum of six 1/2" bolts mounting it to the truck? ....with lock washers?

I think you would know well in advance if the receiver was ready to fall off the truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 15+ F150 - Breakaway Cable anchor?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.