|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water Heater Help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,

Looking for thoughts here before scheduling 2 months out and taking to the dealer. We have a 2018 Outback that we've owned for nearly 2 years. We do very little camping where we don't have at least electric so we have only run the propane portion of the water heater a few times. Our camper has the option to have both electric and propane running at the same time. Recently I tried that because 5 of us were trying to get showers after swimming and the propane portion was acting up. I've had trailers for 20 years and had water heaters die, but this one is acting strange.

So when we activate the propane section the first time it tried 3 times to light and then stopped. Let it sit for a while and on the next time it did light but then went out after about 3-4 minutes of running. We have had 2 more camping trips since then and I've tried it again on each trip with similar results. Sometimes it will not light at all even on the 3rd set of 3 tries. Other times it will light and go right out. And sometimes it will light and run for 5+ minutes and then go out. I looked for obvious things like cob webs, mouse nests, etc and it looks pretty clean. Any thoughts on 1- what would make it not light and 2- what would make it go out even when it has a strong flame?

Not sure what the warranty is on this thing but would prefer to fix it myself if that is possible.

Thanks all!

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First guess is air in lines!
It may take several attempts to light off.
Does the stove top work? Try lighting it first.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bdpreece

Yuma Arizona / Oregon Traveler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated above first guess would be air in the lines. Also as stated does the stove work? After verifying the stove works start with the easy stuff like cleaning the flue and burner area. If accessible try lighting by hand. Try to observe the pilot light when someone turns on the gas side. Does the pilot light light then go out after a minute or two? If this is happening then the thermocouple is either not adjusted correctly or is bad. Good luck and be sure and check back to let us know how you made out.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry all, should have added more details.

Everything else (range, Grill, Fridge, etc) works fine. Definitely familiar with that. No pilot light on this water heater. It's electric ignition, so when you turn it on you get the click, click, click and typically light. It will click 8-10 times and stop for about 20 seconds. It will try that 3 times before it shuts off the propane and "takes a break". As noted, sometimes it lights and goes out during all of this, other times it does not light at all. The last time I got it to light and run for about 10 minutes hoping it was air or something like that and would clear itself out, but the next time I tried and went through the same thing.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does any WH have a pilot light any more?

I go to youtube and see what they have to say.

John Wayne

Long Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the Thermocouple in the flame has to stay hot for the gas to stay on. Is the connection tight at both ends of the Thermocouple. When it is working are you getting a blue flame with just a little or no yellow? Do you have an air compressor that you can use to blow everything out?

John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

First guess is air in lines!
It may take several attempts to light off.
Does the stove top work? Try lighting it first.

I always laugh when I hear that for a water heater especially one that works when it wants to.. There is no air in the line.

Now... Suspect list includes a bad regulator. Improper spark gap (FOr that you need to be outside and observe if it actually lights 3 times and goes out then relights)

Clogged burner orifice (You can see this when it lights if you have the panel open)

Bad thermonuclear (Flame sensor) Rare but possible

Bad control broad (What fixed mine)

On Atwood if it goes to FAULT both gas and electric are disabled (Most if not all)

ON surburans. Most if not all the two are independent of each other.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what year and model of water heater. I am guessing it is a DSI model with no pilot.
Trailers get air in lines when the LP tanks are changed out. The LP must purge the air out.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mentioned propane and electric at the same. Was it on electric also when you are having trouble with the propane? Does it do the same if electric is off?

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a bad control broad once, too. Fixed my whole life by replacing her.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water Heater Help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.