|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flashlights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put this here because we need another one for the coach as well as at home.
We bought a supposed 3,00 lumen flashlight from Bass Pro, for 70.00. It was rechargeable. Plugged it u to an hdmi adapter to charge and next thing I know the light is on and the flashlight is really too hot to handle. The on off switch was supposed to turn green when fully charged or so we though. There was no real instructions of clues on the package.
So...I need to get a couple of good single LED high power flashlights that will work not maybe work until you leave the store.
Suggestions even the 6 volt battery sized ones might be acceptable. I cannot fin my 4 cell a maglight but when I do I would like to put a LED conversion in it but not for $60.00.
Ideas?

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are your thoughts about headlamps?

Between the lights on our phones and the prevalence of headlamps, I haven't bought a new flashlight in years.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

What are your thoughts about headlamps?

Between the lights on our phones and the prevalence of headlamps, I haven't bought a new flashlight in years.

This ^^^^. After using mag-lites for years, I've about completed the switch entirely to headlamps in the 5 (!) wheeled vehicles, the 23' riverboat, and the ol' PA-12. One of the headlamps is actually a band that holds a mini-mag mag-lite, but the rest are a variety of Princeton makes from our local hardware chain. Between $29 - $39 each depending on the season and the features.

After 25 years, it's finally sunk in with me that I don't do well with rechargeable stuff. Now all the headlamps use the same battery, so I just once a year make a sweep through the vehicles and replace batteries.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't go wrong with a Maglite.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I buy about 10 of those $1 things at Wal Mart and toss them when they dim. Can't buy batteries that cheap

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight specials, even have one hanging on the linen closet door handle at home, just in case I can't find the cell phone.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a flashaholic. I have dozens of flashlights, and they're not the cheap two-buck variety either. I've always liked good, bright lights.

One of my favorites is the Sofirn Sp36. 5000 lumens (no exaggeration), mostly floody but it will still punch out a good distance. Good, solid build. You can recharge the 3 lithium batteries right in the flashlight via a USB cord, and the batteries are easily replaceable if they ever go bad. $67 on Amazon. I love having a flashlight that's brighter than my vehicle's headlamps! [emoticon]

If you prefer something that takes AA batteries, the Nitecore EA42 puts out 1800 lumens on 4 AA cells. It's $70. They make less powerful lights for lower prices, if you don't need that much. Other brands I've had good luck with are Fenix, Zebralight, and Eagletac.

I think you can find good headlamps in almost any of the above brands, too. The Zebralight headlamps are a right-angle flashlight in a headband rig, and you can take it out of the headband very easily to use as a handheld.

I do have a 4D Maglite with a LED drop-in, but honestly it's so much heavier and more dim than my other stuff, the Maglite just sits in a corner.

For something tiny, inexpensive, and always at hand, look at a keychain AAA light. Either the Sofirn C01s or the Lumintop EDC01 will give you around 100 lumens; twist the head to turn on, loosen to turn off, or a quick loosen-tighten changes brightness (no switch to go bad, ever). Hard to beat for $10.

* This post was last edited 06/29/20 10:45pm by rexlion *   View edit history

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought this pair of COB flashlights. They are stupid bright on full, have both a magnet and a hook, and are USB rechargeable. $20 for the pair. They're so bright that one of them is now permanently attached to the hutch on my toolbox in the garage and plugged into the USB socket in the power strip. It allows a great view into the drawers including the cavernous bottom drawer. I have 2 big LED tube lights, 200W of led bulbs in the garage door opener, and this little $10 flashlight easily outshines them all. I couldn't be happier.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/20 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 3-pak of flashlights today at Costco. $14.00 and change. Had them before and they work great. Uses 4 AAA batteries. Great for camping. If one of the grandkids drops one, no big deal. I'm through with expensive flashlights.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have quite a few led flashlights that are 2500 lumen and run on 9 AA batteries. Every vehicle, boat, and the camper have one. I bought them at Menards on Black Friday. While on vacation, I carry a 1000 lumen light that I carry in a holster.
I admit to being a flashlight addict. My name is Bob.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flashlights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.