|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 12-volt power for macerator pump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/20 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our newly purchased macerator pump requires 20-amp, 12-volt power. Have you found a simple way to supply that power to the pump? I'd like something that would plug into our 120-volt house power.

23hotrodr

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 12 volt dc 20 amp power supply that would plug into household 120 volt ac would be a pretty expensive and heavy duty unit. The best way is to run fairly heavy duty wire (about 10 AWG) directly from your batteries to operate the pump.

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the house batteries for power. I extended the cord from the macerator by using an extension that I made up with alligator clips to grab onto the battery posts. Actually it has alligator clips on both ends so I just connect to the alligator clips on the macerator and I used the same coloured wires, number 10, so there isn't a mistake in hooking up.Works for me.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A simple way to provide 20 amps at 12 volts.. Easy peasy. Plug into house power (With an RV) also easy

Inline fuse (25 amp) to battery positive. Another to battery negative (RV's battery) 10Ga red/black (red to positive) speaker wire from there to a DRY compartment near the sewer outlet (I added a compatment) anderson power polls on the end (NOTE there is a standard way to arrange them Looking into the poles you want the red one on the right with the tab on top)

Provided wires from there to pump (Fuse is in the handle)

Plug in the RV and let the converter re-charge the batteries or power the unit.

Using it on some other kind of device. More or less the same hookup only a small (IE 35 amp) Converter like a progressive Dynamics 9200 series and a good size rechargable battry

Side effect Use battery with small TRUE SINE WAVE inverter to watch TV or run a fan during power fail.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

wires

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion using 12V from the trailer batteries is the best option. I ran 10 gauge wire from my batteries to a connector in a nearby compartment as wa8yxm suggested and it was easy to connect/disconnect when using the pump.

If you decide to go the power supply route you'll need more than a 20 Amp supply. When you turn on the motor there is a starting surge that will likely trip out a 20 Amp supply. I suggest at least 30 Amps, something like a Meanwell ERPF-400-12 (around $50) would probably work OK.

2017 Dutchmen Triton 3351
2017 Ford F350 SRW

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the booster cable clamps on my portable power pack from Harbor freight to power my macerator. I just clamp on to the Pos/Neg wires. It's the easiest way.

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.
Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

hedgehopper

Denver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I use the booster cable clamps on my portable power pack from Harbor freight to power my macerator. I just clamp on to the Pos/Neg wires. It's the easiest way.
Which Harbor Freight power pack do you have?

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hedgehopper wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

Which Harbor Freight power pack do you have?

I have this one but the 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 would work fine also.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 12-volt power for macerator pump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.