RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Purchasing land to live on in DC area - zoning questions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Purchasing land to live on in DC area - zoning questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
et cetera

South-East

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking to purchase a 5-10 acre lot in a (relatively) rural area so I can park an RV/Fifth on it and live there. Ideally with no adjacent neighbors.

I would also build a wooden fence around it for privacy and security.

Question is, which county in DC area, ideally in MD has zoning that allows this? A county that wouldn't care if someone lives in it on a continuous basis. I want some place private that to even see it, one would have to trespass on the property.

Pretty much my choices at this point are Howard county and Anne Arundel county, maybe Frederick county. Ideally in either Montgomery county or PG county but I doubt either one would allow this.
I would think some counties in Southern MD would allow this but the commute gets impossible.

Looking for zoned agriculture, of course no HOA and no issues with large vehicles. I would need a place with a septic system and a source of water.

I realize rural Arizona is a lot more conducive to this dream but moving out of DC is not an option.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Land like that is going to be tough to fide anywhere close to DC. Just because no one can see it without trespassing doesn't make any difference. The zoning laws are going to get you. You will need plans to get the permits for septic, water, and electric, and inspections after the install.
The further from DC the easier, but you will have a long commute.
Maybe W. Virginia.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order to get a well or septic permit in a rural county area will require a plan for building a home or garage/business in the near future.
Your best bet would be to look for a location with a recent fire or other event which would allow a location with existing well/septic/electric to be used the way you wish without overt government scrutiny. Even a location with a "still standing" trailer or mobile home, again, anything with functional well and septic in a location where you can be discrete......

Otherwise, I would look toward Richmond or Essex county Va.

* This post was edited 06/30/20 02:37pm by wanderingaimlessly *

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure "relatively rural" near DC exists - depending on your definition of "near". We lived in Frederick County MD and had 6 acres and was able to keep my MH in my driveway. Very rural where we lived - actually about 2 miles from Camp David in the Mountains. But that was a house, with water, sewer and electric. In MD zoning for keeping an RV isn't state or even County specific. It comes down to covenants in a particular neighborhood. But again, that's residential. The further you get away from DC the more available and affordable land is. Where we lived was about 1.5-2.5 hours away from DC depending on traffic (and there is a LOT of traffic via 270). Lots of people commute to DC from Frederick and even as far away as Washington County MD. I can't speak to things heading East toward the bay.

My advice, pick a distance you can tolerate a commute, contact a realtor, and start looking at land. But buying a plot of land just to keep an RV with infrastructure to support it, would be something akin to a modular/Mobile home. installing Septic or tying into public septic is costly and requires a lot of paperwork and inspections. In some counties putting a hole in the ground will cost you $20k in impact fees.

Maybe a Farmer would lease you a piece of land and avoid the headache altogether. Or look for "game land" or "recreational use" property and get someone to hook up electric and sewer on the down low.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your asking the wrong people ,go to the county court house and ask. and I,d get it in righting with there name when you are approved, get the facts then fight your way thew the paper work. everything on paper, BS don,t get you no where.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5-10 acres in the DC area will probably be a little more expensive than in Arizona.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree with the other poster that said look for a mobile home for sale with the requirements for land that you want. It will end up being far cheaper and easier to tear out/remove a mobile home with infrastructure already in place than buying land and installing it yourself. Or look for land that already has septic and utils in place but does not have covenants to restrict an RV. But that will be pricey. Even in rural MD, build-able lots with septic and utils run about $100k per acre or more. Unless you have cash, most banks aren't big on lending money on land without proposed improvements to the property - aka - a house. An RV is not an improvement since it's a depreciating asset. Lot loans are pretty picky and have timelines for how long the property can remain vacant or devoid of an actual home.

Like I said earlier there are plenty of Farmers that would love to lease you a piece of land. In parts of varying counties all over MD there are fruit and grape farms that offer free land for the seasonal fruit workers to park their trailers. Most traditional small farms have a tough time getting by and would probably welcome the extra income.

Another other option is an RV park, but you won't find any with any sort of privacy.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Canada we have this app where one can look properties all over the country

https://www.realtor.ca/

Maybe theres something like that in states?

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its going to be very difficult to find land like that, and then super expensive to buy it. Montgomery County... forget it. Half an acre in the county is a couple hundred thousand dollars to start with, finding 5+ acres is borderline impossible. Having it zoned for a trailer is extremely unlikely. Howard County is getting quite difficult too. As people flee the Liberalism and cost of Montgomery County, they are taking out Howard, Frederick, parts of Anne Arundel, etc.

Southern PG, northern Charles or western Calvert County are more likely to have some affordable rural type acreage. You'd need to find a property that is zoned for mobile/manufactured homes. Depending upon where you want to be in DC, its not terribly far away.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

et cetera

South-East

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moving is the obvious solution and I can't stress enough I can't do it. That's the core of the problem, I have to work with what I have. I have a custody arrangement with the ex and the minor child involved. I have primary custody and can pick the location but I can't move too far. Otherwise she will file and will win. I will have lost what I fought for a decade.

Then there is the job issue. I can deal with a 45 min commute but not 2 hours. Rural Frederick county will put me both outside of the reasonable commute range and too far from the ex.

Otherwise, it's plain as day the solution is to move to West Virginia or to any of the counties in Southwestern VA or Southern Maryland. None of these are remotely an option as the ex will immediately file for custody (being deprived of child access) and will probably get it.
I live in MoCo and work in PG county. My choice is realistically either MoCo, or PG county, or Anne Arundel and southern Howard county. Possibly southern Frederick county. I am on a short leash although it got much longer than before.

There are a lot of farms in the area, even in MoCo. There are fairly rural spots in Howard county.

Everything is so expensive here designed to suck all the funds out of you, real estate taxes. There are no mobile home parks, hardly. They don't want people to have access to cheap housing or the RV lifestyle.

Mobile home parks, there are just a few in DC area, have seen them all, they are all expensive, zero privacy, and too far, just terrible all in all. If a lot runs 700-1000/month it's a no brainer it's cheaper to rent a townhouse and the RV lifestyle ends up costing a lot more. The whole point is to enjoy the lifestyle and save some coin but not if it's costs a lot more. I might move once a year, if that.

When the kid turns 18 I will probably move - far away from here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Purchasing land to live on in DC area - zoning questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.