|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Black Water Accident

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
pmlevine

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure this post will provide some laughs. I drained our grey and black water tanks to our TT last season, then winterized with approved anti-freeze for the winter. Before we departed on our first RV trip, I made sure both the grey and black water release valves were not seized up, buy pulling open, lubricating with teflon spray, then closing both valves. Fast forward to our first RV camping trip of the season. At the campground setup (yes both grey and black valves were still closed) - when I went to remove the cover to the TT waste pipe, it was very hard to turn and remove. I figured it was the arthritis in my hands that made it difficult - but WAIT FOR IT - when the cover finally came off, I got a full force jet stream of urine, and feces in the face - full blast. Yep, I had a nice clean up job of the ground, then took a shower.
F.Y.I. our TT has cleaning jets for the black water tank, which I always use for 20 minutes before leaving the campground.
So I have since learned that even though the black and grey indicator level LED's show empty - there can still be substantial residue left in the tanks.
But I don't understand how such a forceful jet stream of waste can blast out when both grey and black water valves are turned off.
Why did I have this unpleasant start to our camping trip?

traildog

Pendleton, IN USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a pretty chitty situation.

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30

traildog

Pendleton, IN USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

traildog wrote:

That's a pretty chitty situation.

Reminds of the guy who thought all he had to do was get his drain pipe over the concrete at the dumping station and pull the valves.

What a mess that made...........

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Why did I have this unpleasant start to our camping trip?"
Because you had clean clothes, and 10-12 days to wonder WHEN it would happen again. [emoticon]
Some would say "Murphy's Law"
But Murphy was an optimist, things are actually much more dire. [emoticon]

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're grey and/or black tank valve seals maybe be bad allowing any residual liquid in the tank to fill between the valves and the cap. As the weather has gotten hotter the contents in the pipe may have become pressurized due to the warmer temperatures. The seals may have worked enough to hold the contents in the pipe keeping them from seeping back into the tanks. The pressure gave the contents a little extra help coming out when the cap was removed. Organic break down of the contents in the pipe may also have produced gas adding to the pressure in the pipe.

Either way it was like popping the cap off a champagne bottle or a soda bottle when you took the cap off. You might replace the 3" cap with one that has a garden hose cap. That way in the future you could loosen the garden hose cap first cap to see if it starts dripping before you remove the 3" cap itself.

* This post was edited 06/30/20 03:02pm by mobeewan *

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to learn to ignore the black & grey tank level indicators.
But, I guess you just did. [emoticon]

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

You need to learn to ignore the black & grey tank level indicators.
But, I guess you just did. [emoticon]

It didn't sound like his tanks were full, from what he said it sound like he had liquid trapped between the valves and the 3" cap that may have leaked past the seals on the valves from residual water in the tanks that was left over when he flushed the tanks.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I am reading your story correctly, I think you answered your own question. You state that you opened and closed your valves to lubricate them prior to your trip. In doing so, any remaining fluids/chunks from your last dump, plus the antifreeze that you had put in your tank to winterize, would have poured down the tube and filled up the space between your valve and your outlet cover. When you closed the valve you sealed that space, trapping the fluid between the valve and the cover. When you removed the cover, that pressure and fluid would have been released the - hence the unpleasant shower.

We've all been there in one way or another! Happy trails!

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oooopsies.

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your name Robin Williams? RV RV RV

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Black Water Accident
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.