RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Concrete driveway thickness??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Concrete driveway thickness??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could should get proper info on slab thickness and proper reinforcement
from any concrete mix suplier or construction company specializing in such work

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I belive my driveway that was poured 3 years ago is 4-5" thick and reinforced with wire mesh. The contractor that did it is a village resident that's been in buisness for 40 years with none of pathetic residents complaining of his work. My MH is only 19k lbs total distributed by the 4 (6) wheels. No issues with cracking. I would put hesitate to put another 10k in the same spot. Anything bigger wouldn't fit and I wouldn't be worrying about cracking.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

glad to hear from concrete contractors. Thanks for the update.
So how thick does he need for a MH?

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV garage floor was compacted and then a wire mesh was installed followed by 6" of 4000 psi mix with fiber. Contraction joints were formed into the concrete when it was still wet to control the cracking. With that said, I agree with the others to park on it and use wood to spread the load under the tires and jacks. Repair/replace only if necessary. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

Add me to the list;

Concrete highways are 12" thick. A 4" highway wouldn't last 24 hours with any real traffic. Heck the 12" ones don't last around here. I'm not a fan a the thump, thump, thumping concrete highways for our part of the country. In the south, sure. In the freeze/thaw areas, not a good idea IMO.

In years past I have made fair paydays hauling the slabs when the state decides to cut out 1 bump to put in 2.

[emoticon]

True!

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

mtrumpet

Hamburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

Add me to the list;

Concrete highways are 12" thick. A 4" highway wouldn't last 24 hours with any real traffic. Heck the 12" ones don't last around here. I'm not a fan a the thump, thump, thumping concrete highways for our part of the country. In the south, sure. In the freeze/thaw areas, not a good idea IMO.

When we built our garage we went with 6" thick, 4000# mix with 1/2" rebar on 12" squares topped with mesh holding the in-floor heating tubes. When it had cured we then did relief cuts so there is no span greater than 16' without a cut.

We live in a heavy freeze/thaw area, the garage was built in 2001. The floor looks as good today as the day we poured it.

With that said, I wouldn't expect good things to happen parking a DP on a 3" slab, but maybe.

X2

I had a brand new driveway put in last year, went with 6" thick, re-bar and mesh reinforcement and also added drainage around the perimeter to keep water from sitting underneath the slabs and freezing in the winter and damaging the concrete.

My previous driveway was supposed to 4" thick. However, when it started to breakup into pieces, there were places where the slabs were barely 2" thick. Turned out that whomever poured the previous driveway cheated on the concrete. As someone else mentioned, how do you know for sure? On my new driveway, I WATCHED them pour it. So, I know.

Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

C20

Shawnee KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concrete: theft proof, fire proof and guaranteed to crack! We used a 4000# mix, 6" thick and rebar on 12" centers. Saw cut the next day and after 6 years all is good

2015 Monaco Dynasty
97 jeep wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Joatha

Pensacola, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Bluebird Wanderlodge weighs north of 20 tons (40K lbs). I just moved to a new house and we put in a pad to park it on. We did 6" of concrete with about 6' of rebar reinforcement on either end of the pad and wire mesh throughout the whole thing. The contractor also used 5000 PSI concrete.

I've been parking the Bird there for about 5 months (after waiting about 7-8 weeks before using it) and so far no cracks. I do recognize that its only a matter of time before it does crack (concrete always does). Also, I watered the concrete daily (or took advantage of rain) after he poured for about 2 weeks. That is supposed to help the strength greatly.

2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Ken C

Rapid City, SD, formerly SF Bay Area, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Concrete highways are normally 4 inches thick to stand up to truck traffic. Call some contractors and ask them. You might be riI ght on the margin of safety.

I had a 90 Ft driveway and parking pad poured about 6 years ago. I specified 6000# mix with rebar on 24in center 6 Inches thick. Worked well for our prior coach that was 32K lbs and has performed well for over 2 years with our present coach for over 2 years which weighs 42K lbs with no cracks. I do use 1-1/8 plywood under the tires and smaller wood under the jacks, but so far it has performer well

Ken
2018 Newmar Dutchstar
Spartan K2
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had a new 112' stamped cement driveway installed. The first 15 feet are part of the city's easement. The city required the easement to be 6" thick. The rest of my driveway is 4" thick. The cement is 3000psi and contains fiber mesh. The city requires the cement to contain a certain amount of fiber mesh so the contractor had to provide documentation to the city before they would sign off on the driveway. The city also required the driveway base to be lime rock which is the same base used for all roads around here. I also asked the contractor to put rebar mesh down just to make me happy. If the city required their part of my driveway to be 6" then I would have gone with 6" for the entire driveway for a heavy coach. The distance from the cement plant to my home was 54 minutes and 4000psi cement sets up to fast for me to have a stamped cement driveway. It was 95 degrees when my driveway was poured.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Concrete driveway thickness??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.