RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Switching from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > Switching from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 07/08/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

No, no, no... This Furrion given in links above is not a Danfoss-style compressor, it is not efficient. It draws 15 amps, the real camping-style compressor fridges draw 3-5 amps max and do not need a spike of electricity to get the compressor started either. There would be no point to put that in an RV unless you are always plugged in.

I have one of these ICECO Compressor Fridgehttps://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/iceco-211-cuft-frost-free-chest-freezer-ieco1002.html Though you will have to search another site to find specs...
I have 2 GC batts and could easily go 3 days without use of solar charging. With solar this will run indefinately

5 amps draw is the max any compressor DC powered fridge should pull, typically 3-4 is normal, and they run a few minutes only before shutting off, having reached the cold temp. As I said... 8-10 mins per hour total of run time seems normal. You can insulate the sides and top to make it more efficient, but I have not needed to do this yeat.
Also see ARB and Dometic for other more popular models.


The one you link is a 2 C.F. that is listed at 7.5 amps. The Furrion is 10 C.F. and is listed at 15 amps. I'd assume a larger fridge would use a larger compressor, and thus more amps. I'm not an expert by any means, but the Furrion appears to be far more efficient than yours, if you take into account energy use per volume.

I never measured, but I'd imagine mine runs about fifteen minutes every hour, but I keep it about 3/4 the way toward the cold side. I'd imagine if I put it in the middle, it'd run about ten minutes an hour.

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

crosscheck wrote:


My absorption fridge works fine but I would replace it in a heart beat if it quit.

Dave


Hi Dave,

There is a firm that will retrofit a compressor to your existing Fridge. That is what I will do when the end of days takes my absorption fridge down.

Don,
Thanks for that info.As I mentioned earlier, a 9 cuft NovaKool would fit into the same spot as the 6cuft Norcold.Right now we would like the extra space.

Dave


2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 12/14/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

ajriding wrote:

No, no, no... This Furrion given in links above is not a Danfoss-style compressor, it is not efficient. It draws 15 amps, the real camping-style compressor fridges draw 3-5 amps max and do not need a spike of electricity to get the compressor started either. There would be no point to put that in an RV unless you are always plugged in.

I have one of these ICECO Compressor Fridgehttps://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/iceco-211-cuft-frost-free-chest-freezer-ieco1002.html Though you will have to search another site to find specs...
I have 2 GC batts and could easily go 3 days without use of solar charging. With solar this will run indefinately

5 amps draw is the max any compressor DC powered fridge should pull, typically 3-4 is normal, and they run a few minutes only before shutting off, having reached the cold temp. As I said... 8-10 mins per hour total of run time seems normal. You can insulate the sides and top to make it more efficient, but I have not needed to do this yeat.
Also see ARB and Dometic for other more popular models.


The one you link is a 2 C.F. that is listed at 7.5 amps. The Furrion is 10 C.F. and is listed at 15 amps. I'd assume a larger fridge would use a larger compressor, and thus more amps. I'm not an expert by any means, but the Furrion appears to be far more efficient than yours, if you take into account energy use per volume.

I never measured, but I'd imagine mine runs about fifteen minutes every hour, but I keep it about 3/4 the way toward the cold side. I'd imagine if I put it in the middle, it'd run about ten minutes an hour.


Just looked up a 9 cuft NovaKool fridge/freezer on their website. Althought slightly smaller than your unit, it draws 5.2 amps which is in line with our 7.5 unit which draws 4.4 as per tester. That's almost 3 times more than the NovaKool unit.

Dave

GravelRider

Pennsylvania

Full Member

Joined: 05/13/2020

View Profile



Posted: 07/08/20 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

GravelRider wrote:

ajriding wrote:

No, no, no... This Furrion given in links above is not a Danfoss-style compressor, it is not efficient. It draws 15 amps, the real camping-style compressor fridges draw 3-5 amps max and do not need a spike of electricity to get the compressor started either. There would be no point to put that in an RV unless you are always plugged in.

I have one of these ICECO Compressor Fridgehttps://www.wayfair.com/appliances/pdp/iceco-211-cuft-frost-free-chest-freezer-ieco1002.html Though you will have to search another site to find specs...
I have 2 GC batts and could easily go 3 days without use of solar charging. With solar this will run indefinately

5 amps draw is the max any compressor DC powered fridge should pull, typically 3-4 is normal, and they run a few minutes only before shutting off, having reached the cold temp. As I said... 8-10 mins per hour total of run time seems normal. You can insulate the sides and top to make it more efficient, but I have not needed to do this yeat.
Also see ARB and Dometic for other more popular models.


The one you link is a 2 C.F. that is listed at 7.5 amps. The Furrion is 10 C.F. and is listed at 15 amps. I'd assume a larger fridge would use a larger compressor, and thus more amps. I'm not an expert by any means, but the Furrion appears to be far more efficient than yours, if you take into account energy use per volume.

I never measured, but I'd imagine mine runs about fifteen minutes every hour, but I keep it about 3/4 the way toward the cold side. I'd imagine if I put it in the middle, it'd run about ten minutes an hour.


Just looked up a 9 cuft NovaKool fridge/freezer on their website. Althought slightly smaller than your unit, it draws 5.2 amps which is in line with our 7.5 unit which draws 4.4 as per tester. That's almost 3 times more than the NovaKool unit.

Dave


Yikes! I guess mine is a bit power hungry...

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/08/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These fridges make charging voltage and capacity critical during off-grid camping. These features are really designed to be used when you have utility power.

Think four batteries, new converter and 500+ watts solar.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GravelRider wrote:

...Anyone have experience with the Renogy/AiLi?

https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Programmable-10V-120V-Compatible-Batteries/dp/B081SXH9TK/ref=psdc_14244451_t3_B07RP5B5P7


Never needed more than a volt meter, and now the solar CC monitor adds info. Some guys here are in love with their gadgets, but you don't really need that complexity to call yourself a boondocker. The gadgets lie to you too as they wander out of calibration.

If you've already got something, just stick with it.


2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver


time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/08/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 for just a voltmeter. That monitor money can be spent on more battery capacity or solar charging to make life off-grid easier.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/02/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

Vintage465 wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

bpounds wrote:

Couple things to add,

That 12v fridge is bad news for boondocking. They are very inefficient. Normally only find those in popup style rigs. But, I guess you're stuck with it. Get more battery.

I like the Vmax line of 6vdc. And with those AGM, you do not need to put them in a battery box. They are safe in any orientation. That might allow you to get even more than 2 of them, but you do need pairs. Unless you look at the Vmax 12vdc AGM. I don't have the 12v, but I would trust the name.

The cheap club store batteries will need to be in a box, and you'll likely end up replacing them sooner. Depending on how you maintain them. Might or might not be worth the savings to you.


One of the main reasons I chose a Danfos compressor style 12V fridge /freezer was because the they are a favourite of the ultimate boondockers which are yachters. They can't use propane fridges because propane is heavier than air and could sink to the lower decks if there was a leak and could cause an explosion.
Our camping style is 98% dry/boondock camping. For 5 years, we camped with a 7.5cuft NovaKool fridge/freezer which when cycling used 4.4A. They are more efficient than absorption fridges using 1/3 less energy. They cool much quicker, for the same outer dimensions, have 1/3 more volume, keep more consistant temperatures in hot ambient temperatures and are not a fire hazard. We almost never needed our 2000W genny as we had 4 6V AGM batteries and lots of solar.

People who use the term"12V fridges are bad news for boondocking" have never had this kind of fridge. They are becoming much more popular for so many reasons as long as you figure in more electrical capacity(batteries, solar) if you don't want to run your genny.

I have a 6 cuft absorption fridge in my TT which came with the new unit. If it gives up the ghost down the line, a 9 cuft NovaKool will fit exactly in the same opening and as I already have plenty of solar and 4 6V GC-2 batteries and more room for extra solar, this is the route I will go.

Dave


That does sound like an efficient 12v fridge. My concern as a boon docker is I hate.........did I say hate?.... Generators. I'll do most anything not to use a generator. And I like camping year round. That include weather that gets down in the teens. I'd need enough battery to run my furnace to heat the the belly of the coach to keep the tanks warm enough. I can keep up with my furnace pretty easily with my solar, but I think if you tagged another fairly high draw unit on the 4-6v's it'd get critical. Bottom line is you really have to prioritize your usage choice. I want a furnace, a C-pap, no genny and winter. Prolly nixes the 12v fridge...for my boon docking needs.


Howdy, to another Creekside owner. Another neat plus for compressor fridges is that they can be operational without problems out of level for long periods of time.( Again, think of yachts).
No question, the NovaKool was the largest single draw of battery power bar none.So if you had to choose, get rid of the OEM heater fan and put in a Cat heater. I have no experience with these but some say they work well.
My absorption fridge works fine but I would replace it in a heart beat if it quit.

Dave

Problem with the CAT heater will not heat the belly in real cold weather. I personally am big fan of propane fridges. I don't see any reason to use anything different. I've also found, as I get older, that there are an alarming number of people that really don't care what my opinion is! Everyone will use what they need that fits their use needs.


V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have agree with Vintage465. My propane ain't broke, and it don't need fixing. It is perfect for boondocking.

I get it though. Absorption fridges are kind of a pain at times, for some people, and the urge to go with a residential fridge is strong. All kinds of ways of justifying a residential unit in an RV have been posted. Now that solar and lots of battery are all the rage, some have lost interest in efficient off-grid practices. Just throw juice at whatever inconvenience comes along. Okay as long as the weather stays clear and sunny.

Whether it runs through an inverter, or directly on 12v battery, a residential fridge is what it is.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/11/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vintage465 wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

Vintage465 wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

bpounds wrote:

Couple things to add,

That 12v fridge is bad news for boondocking. They are very inefficient. Normally only find those in popup style rigs. But, I guess you're stuck with it. Get more battery.

I like the Vmax line of 6vdc. And with those AGM, you do not need to put them in a battery box. They are safe in any orientation. That might allow you to get even more than 2 of them, but you do need pairs. Unless you look at the Vmax 12vdc AGM. I don't have the 12v, but I would trust the name.

The cheap club store batteries will need to be in a box, and you'll likely end up replacing them sooner. Depending on how you maintain them. Might or might not be worth the savings to you.


One of the main reasons I chose a Danfos compressor style 12V fridge /freezer was because the they are a favourite of the ultimate boondockers which are yachters. They can't use propane fridges because propane is heavier than air and could sink to the lower decks if there was a leak and could cause an explosion.
Our camping style is 98% dry/boondock camping. For 5 years, we camped with a 7.5cuft NovaKool fridge/freezer which when cycling used 4.4A. They are more efficient than absorption fridges using 1/3 less energy. They cool much quicker, for the same outer dimensions, have 1/3 more volume, keep more consistant temperatures in hot ambient temperatures and are not a fire hazard. We almost never needed our 2000W genny as we had 4 6V AGM batteries and lots of solar.

People who use the term"12V fridges are bad news for boondocking" have never had this kind of fridge. They are becoming much more popular for so many reasons as long as you figure in more electrical capacity(batteries, solar) if you don't want to run your genny.

I have a 6 cuft absorption fridge in my TT which came with the new unit. If it gives up the ghost down the line, a 9 cuft NovaKool will fit exactly in the same opening and as I already have plenty of solar and 4 6V GC-2 batteries and more room for extra solar, this is the route I will go.

Dave


That does sound like an efficient 12v fridge. My concern as a boon docker is I hate.........did I say hate?.... Generators. I'll do most anything not to use a generator. And I like camping year round. That include weather that gets down in the teens. I'd need enough battery to run my furnace to heat the the belly of the coach to keep the tanks warm enough. I can keep up with my furnace pretty easily with my solar, but I think if you tagged another fairly high draw unit on the 4-6v's it'd get critical. Bottom line is you really have to prioritize your usage choice. I want a furnace, a C-pap, no genny and winter. Prolly nixes the 12v fridge...for my boon docking needs.


Howdy, to another Creekside owner. Another neat plus for compressor fridges is that they can be operational without problems out of level for long periods of time.( Again, think of yachts).
No question, the NovaKool was the largest single draw of battery power bar none.So if you had to choose, get rid of the OEM heater fan and put in a Cat heater. I have no experience with these but some say they work well.
My absorption fridge works fine but I would replace it in a heart beat if it quit.

Dave

Problem with the CAT heater will not heat the belly in real cold weather. I personally am big fan of propane fridges. I don't see any reason to use anything different. I've also found, as I get older, that there are an alarming number of people that really don't care what my opinion is! Everyone will use what they need that fits their use needs.


Sorry to jump in on the middle of your conversation. Could a person use a CAT heater and a 12 volt fan to push heat into the underbelly ? I've often wonder d about this.

I too love my propane fridge that I have in my 1993 Travel Trailer and I have no problems with it cooling.

My brother has a 2018 5th wheel and the propane fridge that he has will not keep food cool when he is traveling down the road, or in days when the outside heat is high. I think the newer ones are not built as well and are giving the whole industry a bad reputation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Modifications and Accessories

 > Switching from 12 volt to 6 volt batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.