RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

I wonder if you have an RV power transfer switch that is not working properly. But being a 1979 model year, you might not have one unless someone added one later. It is a gray electrical box located inside the house close to the generator. It measures roughly 6"x6" x 3" deep.

Google "RV Power Transfer Switch" for pictures on what to look for.

I haven't seen one. I thought I may have found it but I dont think so. It was just behind the fuse box by the breaker box but it doesnt match your description unfortunately.

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. In all motorhomes that I am familiar with the DC operated lights are hardwired to the battery thru a fuse marked LIGHTS in your fuse panel. That connection is not interrupted while on generator or shoreline power or not. So what you describe seems unlikely. Now your water pump is DC powered like your lights. Does your water pump work in all cases like it should?

* This post was edited 07/14/20 07:54pm by whemme *

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I just tested the water pump and it does work in all cases as it should. But still no lights. What does that lead you to believe?

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it means that you have a really weird problem that most likely can’t be solved on this forum. I can’t believe it is somehow related to a defective charger/converter. To prove that your charger/converter is working properly do this test. Measure your battery voltage without generator or shoreline power. I think you said it was 12.4 vdc. Then on shore line or generator power, the battery voltage should increase to at least 13.8 vdc indicating that your batteries are being charged. If no change then your charger/converter is defective or AC power to it disconnected or associated circuit breaker tripped?

Also most motorhomes are equipped with a house battery master ON/OFF switch. Make sure that switch is ON.

BrocNeal

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I've tested the voltage while hooked up to the shore power and it hasn't gotten above 12.6. I've tested it with the generator as well and it'll charge a little bit but probably never get above about 12.6 either. The only time it charges that high is when the van motor is on and its charging from the alternator. Is the next step finding any circuit breakers and replacing them? Or do I find the converter and is there a way to test it?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unplug all power and then take a picture of your fuse box. Then pull all the fuses and take the panel apart until you can see the wiring behind it. Hopefully there is a circuit board with the battery charge wires soldered onto it. Look for labels on the board like Bat + Or just plain + and -. Take a voltage reading from the Bat + and Bat -. Now start the generator and take another reading. If the voltage goes up at all but doesn't reach the 13's, you have a dead charger.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BrocNeal wrote:

So I just tested the water pump and it does work in all cases as it should. But still no lights. What does that lead you to believe?
So there is one 12V item that works regardless of your power source. That puts an interesting spin on your situation.

It sounds like you have checked or traced wiring that you are able to, checked fuses, replaced faulty circuit breakers, and here you are with this weird electrical situation.

I wonder if something disconnected behind your 12V fuse panel. Is that panel independent, or integrated into a converter or other devise?

ADDING: Oh, I see others here have offered the same advise.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jrobert01 wrote:

Fuse on converter blows when you reverse polarity.Converter is behind the fuse panel.There are 2 fuses check both that's where i would look unless i misunderstood the post.

Maybe I missed this part. Were the converter fuses checked ? The two fuses on the converter ?

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/20 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a comment. I had 2 campers of that vintage. There were both some 12 interior lights and some 120vAC interior lights. Could that be confusing the situation?

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if that was true then when with shoreline power or generator running then both sets of lights, AC powered and DC powered should both be on. I think this problem needs to be troubleshot by an experienced RV technician at a RV shop such as Camping World or similar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Generator/Shore Power Work, Battery Power Doesn't
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.