|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Modern 1/2 ton tow vehicle question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not an expert here, however, I will chime in;
Towing a long, large trailer at the top end of a 1/2 ton capacity wouldn't make for an enjoyable outing. 1st off, you have to nickel and dime all the weight in the tow vehicle. 2nd, the tow vehicle isn't going to have as highly rated tire system as a 3/4 ton.,3rd, the trailer contents would be a concern with regard to weight,ei beans, water, drinks, clothing, toys, etc. 4th, the cost of a 3/4 ton truck isn't all that much more than a smaller truck.
We own a 3/4 ton truck and have just jumped in and took off on a cross country trip with no regrets. Yes, gas is more than a 1/2 ton, but overall, the 3/4 ton is worth it just for the safety value.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'll See wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

Quote:

max tow is less.
It's really a false narrative;

Just part of your reply.... but I would agree on the F150 "max tow" option.
Just about every rv website we find where some poor soul bought into Ford "MAX TOW" options thinking it was the max tow even though their new F150 had the small 6800 GVWR and 3800 rawr package. Then found out the truck didn't have enough suspension to carry the load.
This happens a lot.
Its a great option for towing....but IMO Ford needs to drop the wording "MAX" and just call it a "tow package".

If it has max tow it has at least a 7,000 gvwr. Ford already has a regular tow package. Max tow is a great package. Many people tow heavy loads that aren't RVs with 13% tongue weight such as boats.

In the 2019 towing guide, there are a few entries with Max Tow required at less than 7000# GVWR with 4900# GVWR on a regular cab 141” wheelbase as the lowest charted. GCWR minus Tow a Rating equals GVWR.
Extended range or enhanced tow package just doesn’t have the advertising ring to it like Max Tow. Ford already has three tow package variants plus bumper ball mount to sort through.
If I had the larger fuel tank and even heavier rated receiver, I’d have the Max Tow equivalent but with the V8. And I do have a GVWR of 7000#, CCC of 1990#.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I see lots of posts from F150 owners who say their F150 has 6800 gvwr and the "max tow" option.
Like other options it may be depending on year models.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Skelshy

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is always going to be controversial in here. There is no doubt the heavier the tow vehicle, be better it's going to tow, and the rougher it's going to ride unloaded. So it's a bit of a trade-off that depends on how often and how far you tow, and your performance expectations.

Official Ford Towing guide: https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2020_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

Notably, a 4x4 F150 Supercrew can take 1822 lbs in the bed WITH a "150-lb. passenger at each available seating position" with the F-150 Heavy-Duty Payload Package (Option Code 627). It's even rated for fifth wheels. These are numbers unheard of in previous generations. The availability of 8 and 10 speed transmissions also means real world available power has increased.

I only ever owned a pre-aluminium F150, so I can't tell first hand. My buddy used to own a 8ft box F350 diesel that was a dream tool for towing, but not fun in parking lots.

thesumners

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to worry, I have written of the F-150 as an option. I don't know if we'll end up with a travel trailer or a camper so I'm only targeting 1-ton trucks, but not DRW.

The last time I dealt with diesel trucks I owned the 7.3l powerstroke and everybody was angry about the 6.0l engines. Now I'm doing my research on used trucks and I see the 6.4l is almost as hated as the 6.0. So I suppose Ram and Chevy are in the mix, which is fine I just prefer the Fords. I wish I had kept that old F-250.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thesumners wrote:

Thank you all, for confirming what I thought. I'll be shopping for a 250 or 350 instead of a 150. Used prices are OK for what I'm looking for, so no worries on this end.

Thanks!
Greg
I had a 2500 Ram with the coil spring suspension in the rear - was not a bad ride at all.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

easycamper

Ontario's West Coast

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV.net is still a great place to come if you'd like to show your wife pages of opinions about why you need an HD truck to tow a trailer or fifth wheel of any size. [emoticon]

Glad OP has made a decision. Some of us have plenty of experience towing with half-tons, no burned-out rear ends or accidents. Not a triple-axle Mobile Suites, mind you, but there are suitable choices at the smaller end.

Many factors go into a safe and enjoyable towing experience.

2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

We'll See

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Yeah I see lots of posts from F150 owners who say their F150 has 6800 gvwr and the "max tow" option.
Like other options it may be depending on year models.

I was thinking the OP would want a crew cab and with max tow that would be at least a 7,000 gvwr. I guess someone could get a regular cab truck with max tow but that would be very rare. Maybe the extended cabs with max tow are less than 7,000 gvwr?

Sold - 1994 Flagstaff Cobra 206
2017 F150 SCREW 2.7 Ecoboost
2007 Honda Odyssey
Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer - 5.3 & 3.42
Lund Boat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Modern 1/2 ton tow vehicle question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.