|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wilderness camping and gun safety

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/20 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a state certified firearms instructor for about 25 years and taught both LEO's and civilians. Many with the same question you have. Muscle memory is what one safe when handling a fire no matter whether it's a pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle. Each have their own characteristics. A loaded revolver is the easiest to handle and easy to conceal. A pistol is somewhat more complicated. Some have safety's others don't. You need to know how to clear a jam, and they do. How to load a "magazine" they are not "clips". You need to know how to break it down and clean it, a fouled pistol will malfunction. One of the reasons that a pistol will malfunction with an inexperienced shooter is a term "limp wristing" which means that the shooter did not have a tight grip on the weapon and did not allow the slide to do it's job.

To get back to the OP's question. Unless one spends a considerable amount of time practicing loading, firing the pistol it's better to have a revolver, loaded.

As was stated an unloaded firearm is about as useful as a boat anchor. A quality revolver will not discharge if dropped, has no safety that you have to learn to manipulate. For the most part they are less expensive than a pistol and as stated less maintenance is needed.

There are other alternative to a hand gun that are easy to learn and maintain. In the last few years Remington and others have introduced a shotgun, which is classified as a "firearm" in both 20 and 12 gauge. The beauty of this is their 14in barrel and pistol grip stock. Loaded with "low recoil" ammunition the are easy to shoot. You can also get an "arm brace" for it to be used as a defacto stock. Then there are the AR style pistols. They are more complicated so I would stay away from them. As far as 12ga ammo everyone touts 00 buck when actually no. 4 buck is better it has a little less recoil which means a quicker followup shot. more pellets. Don't forget no matter which shotgun ammo you use the pattern will be very tight out to about 25yards.

The alternative to lead ammo is rubber shot. It comes in both a slug or buck shot and that's what I carry. In my time in the back country with my TC I have had three black bear encounters. I did not fire a shot but the rubber shell would have sufficed.

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me too.....regarding carrying a fire extinguisher.

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

How many of you who responded to the OP have EVER had to shoot an animal in when camping "with miles and miles of wilderness around"?

How many of you have EVER had to even get your firearm out in response to an animal?

I'd really like to know. No political agenda here at all whatsoever.

I have..Grandjean Idaho with horses..The local guides cook shot a black bear out of a tree with his .38 just wounding it..The fish and game officer came by our camp warning of a wounded bear and suggesting we move...That evening the bear got into our horses and when we went to intervene,it charged and succumbed to one well placed bullet..

I camp in the boonies where anything can happen..Wild places where there are few,if any people and always lots of wild game..Just a couple years ago we had a bear come down into camp by a back country air strip and went after the dogs and when I came out to intervene,it skedaddled up the hill..I put down the gun and tried to get a picture of it..I have it somewhere...

It happens in the true wilderness all the time..

[image]

Or near backcountry air strips..

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't feel unsafe in the wilderness in a camper. But, I am generally armed when out and about. Humans worry me more than animals.

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silverbullet555 wrote:

I don't feel unsafe in the wilderness in a camper. But, I am generally armed when out and about. Humans worry me more than animals.

^ This is me also. I feel much safer out in the wilderness than I do in any city. I have also packed a wheelgun everywhere for the past 50 years (except Canada). In all those years I've never needed to shoot any animal that was threatening me. But there were a couple times when just having my .357 on my hip was enough to settle down some aggressive (and probably drunk) rowdies.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get some bear spray on Amazon [emoticon]

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is a wheel gun?

2001 RoadTrek 190

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

What is a wheel gun?

Revolver

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '11 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

What is a wheel gun?

A revolver aka with a round cylinder that holds the bullets instead of a clip..

Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

What is a wheel gun?

It's like calling a shotgun a scatter gun. Slang term.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wilderness camping and gun safety
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.