|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wilderness camping and gun safety

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GravelRider

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NatParkJunkie wrote:

I haven't carried a firearm because I do a lot of cross country traveling across multiple states. My current keep a can of bear spray and the fire extinguisher right in side the door of the camper, and carry bear spray on hikes when in bear country.

If I wanted to get licensed and start carrying a firearm, what are the legal requirements to travel through multiple different states after getting licensed my my home state?

I've never been someplace out in the wilderness where I felt unsafe. The one time that I did have some concerns about some other people was overnighting in a walmart parking lot in town, and decided to pack up and move away from that area immediately even though I was tired and really didn't want to drive anymore.
Actually, now that I think about it, I had a black bear sniffing around about a foot away from my tent in Glacier National Park back in my tent camping days. That's what convinced me into hard sided truck camping life.

If you get a Pennsylvania license to carry, here are the states that have reciprocity: https://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

You should also be familiar with the interstate transportation of firearms code: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

And here is a good overall guide: https://www.defensivestrategies.org/firearms-the-law/interstate-transportation-of-firearms

There are many places you can legally travel with a gun. However, depending on your trip, it just won't (legally) be an option. For example, I go to Canada a lot. Not a chance in hell that I'm bringing a gun with me there. Their country, their laws. I do carry bear spray with me when I camp there. In all actuality, bear spray is fantastic, and arguable just as/more effective than a gun in most instances.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nat park Junkie
If you want a carry license, a great place to start looking is USCCA
Their site is selling a membership, but the training button contains a lot of links to schools and licensed instructors.
And if you are not looking to concealed carry, but would like something for in the camper, consider a shotgun. a 20 gauge has mild recoil. but is still a very imposing to two legged varmints, and capable with the right loads on the 4 legged types. And every state allows them as standard hunting firearms. With a permit, you can even take them into Canada by getting a small game hunting license.

Freep

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

When camping as the lone camper with miles of wilderness around, do you feel safer with a loaded firearm handy? Or is having the magazine ready to slide in a better option? Thank you for any thoughts. I need to learn as I start investing time/ money in gun safety. Please no politics. Thank you again

I just keep bear spray handy.

Bears don't care if you wave an empty gun at them.

2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on the fence about getting a pistol, having tried to obtain a license in a "may issue" state. I wonder if being in possession of a loaded pistol 24/7/365 might be introducing more risk into my life, not less. I have taken some training and have a concealed carry permit but just can't "pull the trigger" on a handgun. I did have one occasion to need a pistol when I was assaulted, but wasn't living in a free state at the time so was unarmed.

Now I can and will always have my loaded 12ga pump in the truck, though. BTW not a believer in having an empty chamber - it's a waste of time and easy way to get yourself killed.

If I had grown up as an LEO and more accustomed to full time carrying, no doubt I would be doing that.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trekkar wrote:

What is a wheel gun?

Revolver

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked in SE Alaska for 2 years. We saw bears every day. One the first trip I carried a Ruger SBH in .44 mag. Once I met some coastal brownies at close range, I carried a rifle.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Get some bear spray on Amazon [emoticon]

That's how you identify bear scat.

Smells like pepper and has tiny bells in it. LOL

[image]

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/20 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My firearms are always carried in a "ready state"

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful response. I thank you all as there is a lot to think about based on all your thoughts.

I camp in National forest lands just off remote gravel dirt roads. I find the most beautiful areas where very small towns are 10-20 miles and big cities are hundreds of miles. I like the oregon outback, North eastern California outback and remote areas of Nevada for prospecting dry creek beds and canyons. I like feeling a sense of responsibility safety and security more than a sense of what may or could happen someday. I'm always alone for a few days while I take my time prospecting and traveling south to meet a group of friends in the eastern Sierras. Same on the way home north, I may take another few days prospecting along the way. I am alone these days without my wife as she is not able to take long road trips any longer.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/20 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freep wrote:

I just keep bear spray handy.

Bears don't care if you wave an empty gun at them.

Me too. I have 2 cans of spray near the door of my camper. I did a look of shooting years ago and would never, ever leave a gun loaded. The worst thing you can do is to partially wake up in the middle of the night and grab a loaded gun before your brain starts to work.

At short range outside of being in a windstorm, bird spray is highly effective. I think it would stop a charging herd of elephants.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wilderness camping and gun safety
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.