|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Airbags not working with overloads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BigfootBill

Central NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you following along, I added a 2 inch spacer at each of the 4 contact points for the upper overloads and when the camper was loaded back on the truck, with 5 psi in the bags, the truck bed was sitting 1/2 inch higher than before. 75psi took the bed up another half inch to give me about an inch of travel. I am taking it out this weekend and will play around with the pressures but right now, I think I will go with the KKeller suggestion and do some surgery on the lower airbag mounts.

The design is set up so that the location of the bag in relation to the bracket can be adjusted with slotted holes, but now that I know where it should be, I can mark the mounting spots and lose the wrench space.

2008 Ram 3500
2004 Bigfoot 10.11

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something is still amiss in your analysis imo. No way an additional 70psi only raised the truck 1/2”. 70psi is over 4000lbs of uplift pressure or something close to that.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

BigfootBill

Central NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And now to close the loop... I put 500 miles on the truck camper over the weekend and was very happy with how it ran. Still experimenting with the pressures but it seemed like 65-85 was the best for highway and then I was dropping down to 45 for city driving. I had no bottoming out, even on 81 in PA which is good enough for me.

There may be some shock upgrades in the future but for now I will drive it as-is and put some more miles on the setup.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m glad it works for you, but I am sooo confused.
Idk what happened or how your truck is setup, but your stories are conflicting and those pressures? How can that be right? First, 45-85 psi with the same load? Second, that much air, the upper pressures is carrying ALL the camper and then some.
Interested to hear the explanation here.
From just needs a little help, to airbags too tall , to I can run 85 psi in them and happy with the setup. Make sure you’re really good with the setup and not just placating for the sake of wanting to feel like you fixed the “issue”, because your “solution” defies physics.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigfootBill wrote:

And now to close the loop... I put 500 miles on the truck camper over the weekend and was very happy with how it ran. Still experimenting with the pressures but it seemed like 65-85 was the best for highway and then I was dropping down to 45 for city driving. I had no bottoming out, even on 81 in PA which is good enough for me.

There may be some shock upgrades in the future but for now I will drive it as-is and put some more miles on the setup.

Every rig is different. Experimenting will help you find the settings just right for you.

I will say-that is very high psi. But if it works-it works!

Safe travels.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/20 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you have an onboard air controller?..that was not discussed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Airbags not working with overloads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.