|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Roof Damage - Need Repair

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
crgcamping

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Returned home from a campground and looks like I swiped a tree. The edge of the roof is peeled back/damaged about half the length of the camper. I think it was the narrow entrance/exit of the campground. Relatively new to the 5th wheel but frustrated with the mistake.

Should I consider RV Armor for the repair since they come to you?
Can I use EternaBond for temporary fix? We have another trip planned in 2 weeks.

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be a big help if you could provide a picture. Also what type of roof etc.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to say without pictures but Eternabond might be able to be your permanant fix. That stuff works great in a many applications and lasts for many years.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

crgcamping

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had trouble attaching a pic to the post so I updated my profile with a pic of the roof.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what year your RV is or your financial place in life but if it were me, I would get some contact cement and glue those pieces back down as flat as I could get them. Then go over each area with Dicor self leveling lap sealant to cover the seams. When that's all dry, i would then go over all of it with Eternabond tape and call it good. The alternative is going to be expensive. I just read online that the average cost to replace a roof is $300 per linear foot.

If you have areas where the roof material has completely ripped off, Use the widest Eternabond tape you can buy.

crgcamping

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. It’s a 2015 that we inherited from my father-in-law 2 years ago. He only used it a couple of times and we are just now starting to use it, maybe 3 times a year the last 2 years for long weekend trips. In my (rookie) opinion, it’s relatively new because the low usage. Is FlexSeal tape comparable to EternaBond?

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. Eternabond will last 10 years or longer. There are many testimonials on this site of how good it is and how long it lasts. I've read stories about Flex Seal working for a year or two but then failing. If you're keeping the RV and enjoy using it, Fix it once and be done.

And don't beat yourself up over the mistake. I've yet to meet an RVer that hasn't done something. It's a right of passage [emoticon]

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search Ebay for your Eternabond tape. Don't mess with the Flexseal. The Eternabond tape in my opinion is the best there is. If you have insurance you might consider filing a claim. I would bet they would replace the whole roof. Good luck.

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 210,000 miles
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is where I purchase my Eternabond tape. I have used it for many years and it is the best there is. I did every seam and penetration on my trailers roof about 12 or 13 years ago and it is still holding up like new.

For your application, I think I would get a 50 ft roll of 4 or 6 inch wide tape. Clean the area well, glue down or cut off the loose stuff, and then put the Eternabond down starting from towards the center of the roof and work your way to and around the edge down to the gutter.
When done, go ever the exposed edges with Dicor self leveling sealant and you should be good to go.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Roof Damage - Need Repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.