|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torklift Rust

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good day,

I located a set of torklift mounts locally that are used. They are priced under $200 for the complete set. Seller is an older gentleman and he shared with me that they had some rust on them on some of the flat areas. Some of it may have been up to half the thickness of the material on a portion of the flat parts where dirt and moisture can collect.

I am always trying to balance value with cost. Saving a chunk of change is exciting. But, sometimes an item is too used to make it worth it.

I'm going to look at them tonight. They have been repainted already which will make it hard to see some of the damage.

Thoughts on when there is too much rust on torklift tiedowns to make it worthwhile?

https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/d/boise-torklift-camper-tiedowns/7163298685.html

James
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Crew Cab 4wd 6.5' bed
1995 Northland Grizzly 860 camper
2002 Cobalt 226

Slymer

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I'd be thinking if he was that upfront about the rust it can't be that bad. In painting them, he didn't need to mention the rust at all, but he did. [emoticon]

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem here is 99% of the posters have much heavier truck campers than you and I and probably 99.9% of them,money is no problem..The earlier truck campers up around 10ft plus,used nothing but stake pocket tie downs,in the old days..The big ones were around 4,000 plus some change and it worked as long as you had a non-slip type pad under it..

Bottom line..That CL listing is a steal for a name brand like Torklift and the guy seems honest..

My TC is as heavy as yours or maybe heavier and I do just fine with bed mounted(not frame) tie downs although,if I went bigger or slides,I would put a front belly bar on rather than the bed only points or beef up what I have..

Truck campers can be a money pit if you do not use common sense..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not hesitate in buying that setup
One of the reasons I would go for it, is that, any piece of that set that looks questionable, you can get separate items from torque lift. When I bought. my pickup the frame mounted torque lift was already on my truck , all I needed was the slide in pieces for my truck. when it was all said and done it wasn't too expensive.
Torque lift is pretty good about working with you getting you any parts you. might need.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TL tie downs are 14 years old and never have been off the truck since they were installed. Except for when I had them sprayed with bed liner. I would not hesitate to buy them. They are made from heavy stock and would take a lot of rust to make them useless.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all. Now trying to confirm they will fit my truck. He has an 05 Silverado 2500HD. I have an 07. SHould be the same. But, they look different than what is on the TL website.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

The problem here is 99% of the posters have much heavier truck campers than you and I and probably 99.9% of them,money is no problem..The earlier truck campers up around 10ft plus,used nothing but stake pocket tie downs,in the old days..The big ones were around 4,000 plus some change and it worked as long as you had a non-slip type pad under it..

Bottom line..That CL listing is a steal for a name brand like Torklift and the guy seems honest..

My TC is as heavy as yours or maybe heavier and I do just fine with bed mounted(not frame) tie downs although,if I went bigger or slides,I would put a front belly bar on rather than the bed only points or beef up what I have..

Truck campers can be a money pit if you do not use common sense..

I hear you. I certainly am not in a rush. Finding a set for $180 is worth it. $700 not so much.

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like they are for a long bed, though he had them on a shortbed.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No close-ups on the listing, but I don't see any corrosion voids on available pictures.
Corrosion expands material volume like 10 times, so what is a lot removed corrosion, can barely have eaten some material.
On other hand steel if fully restorable.
Even if you find a hole in otherwise good tubing, some welding, grinding, painting and it is as good as new.

* This post was edited 07/21/20 05:57pm by Kayteg1 *

silverbullet555

Boise

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They didn't lose much material. I bought them for $120.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Torklift Rust
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.