|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV awning cleaning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on some other threads and the interwebs, I sprayed my awning with 1 TB each of dish soap and bleach dissolved in one gallon of water. I rolled it up and let it sit for ten minutes, then sprayed it off with a hose and... Nothing! Was not cleaner at all.

So, I ended up hand scrubbing every inch of that blasted awning, all on a ladder with my arms uncomfortably in the air over my head.

I had never washed it in almost three years and it was dirty. But there has to be an easier, and safer way.

If I repeat the spray roll rinse routine more frequently, like twice a year, will it work better? The trailer is under a carport, but we have a damp climate nine months of the year so fog and mist will saturate the awning no matter what is above it.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i use half bleach half water and roll it up for at least a half hour or more. Unroll it and rinsed it, it just needed a little scrubbing with a RV brush. Came out almost new. And this was after being rolled up for a year with mold and tree leaves.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Simple Green.

The eraser gets the black streaks off.

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a soft bristle brush on an extensible pole. Relieves a lot of stress on the arms but you'll still get wet.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Idk, awnings are a must but can be a PITA keeping them clean.

I'm trying to limit some effort this year by rubbing the awning down with 303 then rolling up......have to wait and see.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those easy to use by button pushing power awnings are wonderful till you have bad weather or want to clean them. If you ever had a manual awning that pulls to the ground you would know what I mean. Since mine came with the worthless thing, I leave it rolled up.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"30 Second Outdoor Cleaner" is what I use. Spray it on (I use my garden sprayer), roll up, let it sit for the time it takes to drink a beer and then roll back out and spray it off top and bottom.

Comes out pretty good if you keep up with it. If there is deeper stains and such, I use a car wash brush on a long handle to scrub a little bit more.

Good luck! Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

"30 Second Outdoor Cleaner" is what I use. Spray it on (I use my garden sprayer), roll up, let it sit for the time it takes to drink a beer and then roll back out and spray it off top and bottom.

Comes out pretty good if you keep up with it. If there is deeper stains and such, I use a car wash brush on a long handle to scrub a little bit more.

Good luck! Mitch
Soooo,
It works in like two minutes?

[emoticon]

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did mine today and it was the dirtiest I have ever let it get...meaning bad. I used Awesome, about 4 ounces diluted in a 1 gallon sprayer. Bottle says dilute it 10 to 1 for vinyl. Sprayed it down generously and rolled it up and let it marinate for 15 minutes. Then I filled my car wash bucket with car wash soap and unrolled it and liberally used the car wash water and soft brush to break any dirt loose. Still has some faint dark spots on it but it worked quite well.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Mold Armor on everything that gets moldy - awning, gaskets around cargo doors, propane tank cover. I spray it on and let it sit then rinse - no rolling the awning up, but suppose that doesn't hurt. Walmart, Lowes.

[image]

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> RV awning cleaning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.