RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Biggish dog in pick up truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Biggish dog in pick up truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Vagabond Homeschool

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, newbies here. We are researching trucks and travel trailers as we'd like to do some long term travelling within the next year or two. We have two boys (8 and 5) plus one 60lb Goldendoodle. As we look at pick up trucks with extended cabs we realize we might have a problem with where to comfortably put our dog.
Those of you with pick-ups and large dogs. Where do you put your dog when the 2nd row is already occupied? We live in Texas and there is no way we can put him in the bed during summer.
We thought about looking at larger SUVs but that seems it would limit our trailer options.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave the kids with grandma , take the dog , less trouble . The boys would probably like the dog in the seat with them .

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put him with the kids.They are young enough to be able to share the space.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

60 pounds is not a "Large dog" in my book

Cleo was something like 150 or 250 pounds of Rottweiler *****. real friendly if you fed her the odd Bacon Cheeseburger but if you came though the tow yard gate without permission she was downright hungry (Happened one day)

Now she was one big Canine (A dog by the way is the Male of the Canine species)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have always travelled with our 2 kids and Back Lab,,, recently we have had our 2nd Lab as well in the back seat with no issues....

Not Sure what brand you are looking at but the 2020 Ford 3/4 and 1 ton interiors have changed and there is a LOT more leg room... One or our labs decided she wanted to just say on the floor when camping..... No worries, plenty of room..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

We have always travelled with our 2 kids and Back Lab,,, recently we have had our 2nd Lab as well in the back seat with no issues....

Not Sure what brand you are looking at but the 2020 Ford 3/4 and 1 ton interiors have changed and there is a LOT more leg room... One or our labs decided she wanted to just say on the floor when camping..... No worries, plenty of room..

Try your question on the Tow Vehicles forum.
(Does Ram/Dodge still make the "mega cab?").

The Pets forum ("RV pet Stop") would be good also - but not as many posters/viewers.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Try your question on the Tow Vehicles forum.
(Does Ram/Dodge still make the "mega cab?").

The Pets forum ("RV pet Stop") would be good also - but not as many posters/viewers.

OP asked.... Think you quoted me in error?

OP, good idea here... check on the Pets forum....

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have traveled for years with 2 older children and a 60lb Border collie without issue in full size pickup.....it's a non issue, enjoy the family.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an 80LB dog and 1 boy in a crew cab Chev. My son gets the small seat and we fold up the larger side. The dog takes up the entire 3/4 of the back seat. We have gone camping with him and a friend and gave the dog the 1/4 section. He doesn't like that - very much intrudes on the boys leg room. In the end it worked, but wasn't the best drive. Because of that I usually figure out how to not have a friend come on the trip.

I think a smaller dog like yours might be OK sitting on the seat in the middle seat, but not sure how easy that would be with your boys.

Vagabond Homeschool

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for your responses!

It sounds like truck cabs might be bigger than I think. I was thinking the amount of space in second row would be similar to our current vehicle (Mazda CX9). Our second row is too small when boys are there hence we put doggo in the third row area with seats folded down. Seems like the bigger trucks might have more room. We'll just have to start shopping around and see. We've never owned a truck before ;-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Biggish dog in pick up truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.