RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Biggish dog in pick up truck?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Biggish dog in pick up truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vagabond Homeschool wrote:

Thanks to all for your responses!

It sounds like truck cabs might be bigger than I think. I was thinking the amount of space in second row would be similar to our current vehicle (Mazda CX9). Our second row is too small when boys are there hence we put doggo in the third row area with seats folded down. Seems like the bigger trucks might have more room. We'll just have to start shopping around and see. We've never owned a truck before ;-)

Ive had my 22 year old daughter and her boyfriend and the 2 labs in the back with room for more... the cabs have gotten larger on these full size trucks

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teach the dog to ride on the floor board. He will be safer there in an accident and out of the way. That is where my dogs ride.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/20 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vagabond Homeschool wrote:

Thanks to all for your responses!

It sounds like truck cabs might be bigger than I think. I was thinking the amount of space in second row would be similar to our current vehicle (Mazda CX9). Our second row is too small when boys are there hence we put doggo in the third row area with seats folded down. Seems like the bigger trucks might have more room. We'll just have to start shopping around and see. We've never owned a truck before ;-)

Then you'll be surprised by how much room crew cab pi kups have. Our F150 crew cab has amazing room in back. The amount of floorspace is big. Plenty for two kids and a large dog. And we owned an 80lb golden retriever.

* This post was edited 07/23/20 01:04pm by bikendan *

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fold down the 40 side of the 60/40 split and the 80lb golden retriever gets that section, the 60% goes to my teenagers that are 5’9”, and 6’2”. My daughter normally rides in the middle, and the dog is half in her lap, so the dog wins.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate to say this. But, there is not a truly good answer per say. My two malamutes at 125-150 lbs usually rode in crates in the pickup bed with 6 people in a crew cab, there is no room for large dogs! This place generally speaking worked, until the day it was 100+F. I found that day they preferred being in crates over the trailer axles. I went from fight them to get into their crates, to they went into crates, plopped down and looked at me with a let's get going, we're happy!
I'm not going to get into a right, wrong etc here. As there are many opinions on this. This is what worked for me.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about a dog riding in the truck continuously. Space isn’t the issue, but I couldn’t do the hair and dirt and grunge regularly.
Have 3 dogs and the rodent terminator cat. If I couldn’t leave them home, I’d have zero pets, or they’d ride in the bed.
We took our dogs everywhere for a while. Topper on the truck bed. Hot weather is tough. We’d wet them down regularly when hot.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a half ton crew cab has a ton of room, remember most manufacturers have 3 cap choices. the little backseat and the big back seat are very different. as an example my f150 crew cap has WAY more room in the back seat than my wifes explorer (that a lot of people buy because its a good 'family' vehicle

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/20 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally big dogs travel better in crates, as they do not have to fight to retain their balance in a moving vehicle. As they do not have hands to grip with, motions, expecially quick or hard stops, can cause them to fall or have to scrabble to keep their balance. In our motor home, our two, (50 and 80 pounds) wantyed their crates back on the back bed, usually with the doors open, where they could lay down, curl up, and be safe. They liked the security of the smaller space.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No kids here but 3 dogs... a nearly 50lb basset hound, a 65lb boxer, and a 80-90lb (we aren't sure as he's still growing) bloodhound/boxer mix. They all ride in the backseat with plenty of room. I think your kids and dog will be fine. We do fold the seats up so they travel on the floor.

2020 Keystone Montana 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/20 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prob plenty of room to ride in front passenger floor as well once the human passenger is comfy. It's a pretty safe spot w plenty of cool air available.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Biggish dog in pick up truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.